Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

At dinner time, Jeda and Buster were talking to another dog called Danny. He was dark brown and Jeda’s age. Jeda wasn’t really concentrating on the conversation; he had met more people than he could count.

    Buster and Danny were arguing about the ‘No Bone Burying’ rule, when Corrine galloped into the room and jumped onto the High table.

    “Snarl Coven’s door way is blocked!” She called. Everyone eating dropped their bones in shock.

    “A pile of rock is blocking the entrance too heavy to shift. From this attack, all of Underhowl is threatened. I now call a meeting to all Highs in Fierce Coven.”

    Corrine walked off stage and out of the room, closely followed by Fabio and the other dogs dining at the High table.

Buster, Jeda and Sunny all made their way to Buster’s bedroom. Buster was angry.

    “How could they think that they’re just good enough to take over Underhowl? With their pure-bred coat and their pure-bred faces and their pure-bred humans…” He raged. “You are so lucky, Jeda. You’ll probably go home before the Pure’s come here…”

    “Really? I’m going home soon?” Jeda asked.

    “Well, yeah, I guess so, since you aren’t a resident. But I don’t really know, I’m just guessing… but I suppose it’s soon.” Buster shrugged.

    “Jeda’s going home soon?” Sunny asked.

     I’ll get to see Oliver again! Jeda exclaimed in his head.

    But Underhowl is in danger, right now. If I go up to the surface, you wouldn’t be able to help them. A voice said in his head.

    They wouldn’t want me to help; most of them want me to go home now…

    But if your home was in danger, wouldn’t you want as much help as you can get?

    Jeda thought about this. He imagined Oliver in danger and only Jeda could help him. Jeda’s whole home, his whole neighbourhood in danger. He would want as much help as he could get. Why not do the same for Buster’s neighbourhood?

    “No.” Jeda said aloud.

    Buster and Sunny looked at him weirdly.

    “No.” Jeda repeated at Sunny. “I’m not leaving.”

    Buster took a while to thaw out of his surprised expression.

    “You’re not leaving yet, but you will be leaving soon.” Buster nodded.

    “No, I’m not leaving at all until Underhowl is safe again.” Jeda decided.

    “You’re- what? Listen Jeda, to be honest, there isn’t a lot you can do. You can only fight if you’re a Warrior, that’s Fierce Coven rule, and you can only protect other dogs if you’re a resident. And since you’re basically neither…” He grimaced.

    “I can be a resident if I choose to stay here, and I do. So now there is only one thing for me to become, and that’s a Warrior.” Jeda said calmly.

    “But being a Warrior is really dangerous! Not just being one, but becoming one too!”

    “You wanted to become a Warrior, why don’t we both do it together?”

    “Why should he do that?” A voice said from behind them.

    Buster and Jeda and Sunny all whirled around. Walking through the door was a skinny, sleek, and silvery grey hound. Jeda recognised him as the one from dinner, and the Announcement Arena. Up close he looked the same age as Jeda and Buster. Sunny whimpered and stood behind Buster