10 - Talking with my Demons

The next morning is Sunday, which means I'm off duty for my day job. That just means it's time for my second shift to start.

I pull my hair up into a ponytail and lay on thick, black eyeliner before putting metal studs in the holes that run up my entire left ear and the top half of my right. Looking sufficiently intimidating, I scowl at myself in the mirror to see if I can pass. It's good enough.

Just as I swing my black leather jacket on my phone rings. Seeing the unknown number I answer it immediately.

"You didn't answer my calls yesterday." I snap as I grab my keys.

It's just before dawn so Kit isn't up, meaning I don't have to worry about saying goodbye. I slam my hand on the door frame as the door closes and my wards immediately engulf the house once more. A glance checks that the three rings on my left hand are all present before I remove my hand and the ward fully seals. Kit isn't going anywhere today.

"I said I'd call you in two days, dear. You know I keep my word." She goes for a mothering tone but it just makes me grind my teeth.

"I only asked for one favor." If this snake tries to take more of a deal from me than I'd agreed to I might consider seeing her again just so I could try to kill her.

Her soft laugh carries well over the phone. "Don't worry. The job and the house I've arranged is all included in what you asked of me. My goal is to make Kit as comfortable as possible and that means you working and living in Mystica. The commute to Central would have meant she was raising herself most days and honestly I couldn't bear that," A fake teary voice floats my way.

"If she wasn't getting the care she deserved I would have had to take her into my home, you see, and I know that isn't what you want," The voice turns sharp without warning.

"Don't you dare threaten my sister in order to control me. Leave Kit out of it," I growl.

A laugh is her only response to that warning. "I'll send your new address along  to your email later this morning. The place is set up appropriately and I'll have some professional clothes for you as well as Kit's uniforms delivered. I've pulled strings to get you a good deal, I assure you."

She hangs up before I can respond and I almost crush my phone in my grip as I glare at it. That hag.

I leave Kit a note with a recipe for chicken and let her know I should be back in time for dinner. Storming to the car, I hop in and speed away.

I don't stop until I pull up to a dilapidated two story building half an hours drive away. It's a moldy green with paint chipping off and exterior concrete hallways that are starting to sag in places. Hopping out, I lock the car, though there isn't anything worth stealing inside. The wooden steps creak ominously as I pound up them and storm into the first office on the left.

Mex is lounging against my beat up wooden desk, playing with a small stress ball as the door slams off the wall. One of the desk legs recently broke off so I propped it up with books but they put it at a slight angle. Mex is placing the ball at the top and watching it roll around.

"Good morning?" He asks sarcastically, grabbing the stress ball, as I shut the door forcefully.

"Shut it. I'm shutting down business and this is my last day so I need to get as much done as possible." I move around my desk and start flipping through the piles of cases looking for any that I can get done today, flopping into my chair.

Mex turns and slams both hands on the desk. "What!"

I freeze as his eyes turn a dark red. Sometimes I forget that Mex is a demon strong enough to have more than a handful of minor demons at his beck and call. He really is here just because he finds me entertaining.