23 - The Morning After

The next morning, I find myself wandering about Luke's apartment dressed in nothing but his shirt and my silver necklace. I'd stolen that off the floor when I'd rolled out of bed and decided to go in search of breakfast. Once I the kitchen, I poke through a few drawers until I find a skillet before investigating the fridge.

I spot a pound of raw chicken legs which I quickly pulled out. I check the label and note the spell quality label, so I set them on the counter. Seriously, who eats spell quality ingredients? Much better for me to take then with me and make good use of them.

I hate leaving Kit alone, especially nights where I have to be away from easy contact so I figure I'd better at least leave her with some protection. Seeing the chicken legs gave me an idea of what to do to protect her. They'd be the perfect sacrifice.

Since no one is up and about I hover a hand over the package and allow my magic to come to the fore. I prick my finger and let a drop of blood fall on the package. I gather my fingers together then lifted my hand as if pulling a string and the package lifts from the counter.

With a quick incantation I wrap it in magic and send it to my refrigerator at home. One of the first things I'd done was draw a landing spell in my fridge in blood, like a mini teleport spell, which meant I could send or summon things there as long as my blood was part of the spell.

With that done, I move back to rummaging through the fridge. I pull out cheese and chicken breasts with a triumphant laugh and then set about finding the tortillas. I set the chicken on the stove to cook while I chop onions and mix up the cheese with some spices. I'd just gotten the chicken flipped and had started assembling the quesadillas when the front door opened and the clicking of high heels alerted me to a female visitor.

"Honey?"

Luke has a girlfriend? This isn't going to go well. I have a feeling she won't appreciate an unknown women cooking in his apartment dressed only in his shirt. I pop my head out of the kitchen to head her off.

"Hello, I'm just making breakfast if you'd like to join Luke and I." The smile freezes on my face when I recognize the woman in the dress walking through the small foyer.

She freezes as she takes in my ratty hair and men's shirt. "Who are you?"

I shake myself and hold out my hand with a brittle smile. "Cassie, Luke's new partner."

She grimaces as she lightly grips my hand. "Ah."

Her one word reply holds a wealth of meaning. And she doesn't approve, not one bit.

"I'm just making breakfast so you'll have to excuse me." I dip back into the kitchen and save the chicken just in time.

My hands shake as I begin to tear it into strips before adding them to the quesadillas. I hear the light tap of heels on carpet and then a door opens and shuts. It didn't sound like the door I'd come from, so she hadn't gone to investigate Luke's bedroom.

Placing the first set of laden tortillas onto the pan, I let them heat and walk past the breakfast bar to take in the room, since it had been too dark to see last night.

There's a door that I don't recognize which is where I think Ms. Eleanor Watkins, bane of my High School existence, has disappeared. The other doors lead to the den, Luke's bedroom, a bathroom which also opens to Luke's room, and a laundry room where my clothes are currently in the washer. Given Eleanor's determined stride, I deduce Luke must have a roommate.

Just as I come to this conclusion, Eleanor and a man I vaguely recognize from the precinct walk out of the door. He shuts and locks the door behind them before turning to face me. He's dressed in a dark suit and in her heels Eleanor fits his height perfectly.