22 - Sacred Seven

We stop at the precinct so Luke can break the news to Benedict that our good girl heiress may have been up to no good. I, of course, wait at my desk while he does so. I spin my chair back and forth until a cleared throat brings me to a halt.

Blue Eyes raises an eyebrow at me. "Slacking on your first day?"

I snort but don't straighten from my slouch. "I didn't think my being there would help Benedict receive bad news so I stayed here. Got nothing to do."

He looks over my empty desk and then glances as my partner's covered one. I shrug at the unasked question. Who know how many of those papers pertain to this case? I wasn't about to go digging through Luke's desk.

He just shakes his head and takes a seat at his desk, with perfect posture I might add. He's filling out a form so I go stand by his shoulder to peek. A records requisition form. He's just turned to glare up at me when I hear my name called out.

"Cassie! Why are you bothering Worthingham? Have you finished the report already?" Luke stands by his desk frowning at me.

"What report?"

Luke stares at me as if I've sprouted horns.

Blue Eyes, or Worthingham I guess, clears his throat. "On cases that deal with Covenate families, we have to fill out reports for every visit not just daily summaries."

It's my turn to look at both of them as if they've sprouted horns.

Luke just sighs and plants his hands on his hips. "I thought you'd have it done so we could go. Guess you'll have to work through lunch before we head for Seven Woods. Benedict wants us to take some officers and finish the canvas tonight."

"Wait, finish tonight? Seven Woods is a large neighborhood."

Luke was already back to flipping through papers on his desk. "Wayte has political pull and he wants his daughter found yesterday."

"So we'll be working through dinner." My voice is flinty and he finally looks up.

I watch as his gaze hardens. "Yes. Is that going to be a problem detective? Got someone waiting at home that's more important than the case?"

My mouth firms to a line. I've no intention of hiding Kit but his implications raise my hackles. "Not that it matters to you, but I do have plans for dinner. I'll cancel them, but this can't be an everyday thing."

"Even in the Downwind you must have taken working dinners," Worthingham finally joins in as our drama is clearly more interesting than requisition forms.

"They were rare." My response doesn't invite any comment but Luke won't let it drop.

"Well, get used to it. When things happen in Mystica we get them solved quickly which means long hours and late nights. People here expect a timely response."

"Oh, and people in the Downwind didn't?" I snap before whirling on my heel.

"Cassie!" Luke yells after me, but I just throw up a hand to ward him off.

I take myself off to a corner and pull out my phone. A look at my watch tells me Kit should still be at lunch and I sigh with relief. She answers on the third ring.

"What's wrong?" She sounds a little too excited at the thought of problems for my taste.

"Nothing's wrong. I've just called to update you on tonight's plans."

"Oh." There's a pause. "Well, what now?"

I wince. "I'm sorry but I won't make it for dinner. You'll have to feed yourself."