10 | α вσу ℓιкє мє

Could it be a boy like you
That would give me anything
If I asked you to

Chapter 10 ~ A Boy Like Me

Ryan Rivera

"So, tell me where you're struggling," were the first words that left Felix's mouth as he plopped into his desk chair and scooted in so that he could give me his full attention. After Bobby's midlife crisis a few night's ago, I sent Felix a quick email, telling him that I was going to take him up on his offer. At around six this morning, he replied, saying that I could meet him in his classroom an hour before school started.

I thought it was a great decision on my part because I got to learn chemistry while looking at eye candy, but I underestimated how beautiful Felix looked in those fake teacher glasses because that was all I had been focusing on ever since I came in the room. "Um, well, I'm kind of struggling with everything."

Felix cocked an eyebrow. "Everything?"

"Yeah, I'm usually lost, like, eighty percent of the time," I said, and tried to add in a nervous laugh to lighten the mood, but Felix's eyes remained trained on me.

"If you have no idea what's going on, you wouldn't have a C."

I opened my mouth to say something, but quickly closed it. The reason why I wasn't completely failing this class was because Bobby did my homework most of the time, and did all of our lab reports. "Um..."

Felix's deep brown eyes finally left mine so that he could focus them on his laptop. He was silent as he typed away, not really telling me what he was doing, and his eyes flicked back to mine when he was done. "You're friends with Robert Cooper, right? He's your lab partner?"

I nodded.

"He has an A-plus."

I nodded once more.

He released a heavy sigh and ran a lazy hand through the dark hair that was falling over his forehead, pushing it back. "Look, I don't know about the teachers before me, but I definitely do not condone cheating. If you're having problems with this class, then maybe you should consider dropping into regular chemistry."

"No!" I nearly exclaimed, but I cleared my throat as to conceal it. "I mean, no, I know I can get it ... I just need help."

"I can help you, Ryan, but I can't reteach you things that you should've known since last semester. There's simply no time. The AP exams are coming soon."

My shoulders slumped in defeat. I wanted to stay in this class—not only because Bobby would absolutely hate me if I dropped out, but also because I wanted to do something to prove to my parents that I was worthy to be the subject of our dinner conversations. I wanted them to be proud of me. I wanted them to brag about me every chance they got like they did with Bryan.

"Well, what if you can tutor me overtime?" I piped up in my seat which made him flinch. "You know, like before school, during lunch and free period, and after school? I'll even pay you for your time. Please, I really need this."

There was something oddly sincere in the way Felix's eyes were gleaming as he studied me. I could tell he was debating about whether or not he should help me, and the decision was probably doing a number on him. Eventually, a smile cracked his lips and I was stuck looking at those perfect teeth again. "I admire your determination, Ryan."