Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The kid had been working for a whole month now. Rudy still hadn't been fired and he still found the kid irritating with his whole act.

The two of them were still shifted together despite both of their - if not slightly weak and rubber - protests. They were the worst team ever. The kid's only good contribution to their shared time was on Tuesday afternoon when the usual weekly crones went in halves and started flocking over the both of them. Rudy had still been able to feel his cheeks thanks to the shared endurance.

The hate that Rudy had so not deserved in the first place had died down after he toned down his harassment to almost nothing. The kid was still scared of him but managed through their many shifts together that Rudy just knew Kelly was all over.

He hated her more than he hated the kid.

"I swear to God, the kid still can't get the concept of always asking if someone has a points card and/or if they want one. He's been here way to long not to know an I've told him way too many times for him not to get it through his thick skull and he still acts as if I'm going to hit him."

Rosie gave a noise of amusement, as if Rudy was missing something. But he ignored it. "Kelly even invited him to drinks this Friday. I don't even think he's at the legal age for working never mind drinking."

Legolas was asleep on Rudy's lap and had been for the last half an hour. The thing made pathetic little sleepy noises that made Rudy want to poke at him to stop.

"Maybe this is a good thing. Get to know him out of the working environment."

"I don't want to get to know him out of a working environment, I don't even want to know him in a working environment. I haven't done anything to him in a whole month and he still acts as if I'm some sort of beast ready to snap at him, I'm sick of feeling like a bad guy."

"You are a bad guy."

Rudy made a low, guttering sigh hat had Legolas whimpering a little, opening his eyes blearily and sad.

"You don't think I'm the bad guy, do ya buddy?" He was answered with a sleepy lick on his hand. Rudy grunted appreciatively and scratched him behind the ears where he liked it.

"Gross," he heard Rosie sniffed beside them, her arms crossed and her eyes narrowed at Kit Harrington's face. Rudy just smirked, booping Legolas in the nose so the small thing jumped on his finger and started chewing it playfully, now completely awake.

~*~

It came Friday and Rudy was yet again stuck behind a desk with the kid at his side. The shop was particularly bare expect for that weird guy that just stood in the corner every other day and hated Rudy like everyone else in the building.

Kelly was leaning over the kid's counter, making every few of the customers that were actally coming into the shop come over to Rudy with awkward smiles and arms outstretched with books and other sorts.

Kelly was going on and on about how much fun they were going to have later that day and how drunk she was going to get and all this other shit that Rudy couldn't give two craps about and to be honest the kid looked just as immersed with Kelly than Rudy was.

Gritting his teeth he looked to the next customer that was making her way slowly to the counter, looking past him until here was just the right amount of space between her and the counter so it didn't look like she was going anywhere else and gave a small smile to Rudy and a flutter of the eyelashes like she couldn't quite believe the sight in front of her before she composed herself and smiled again.

"Uh, hi," she started awkwardly." Um, I am looking for-"

"OH MY GOD MILES YOU ARE SUCH A HOOT!" Kelly burst out, slapping the kid and making the whole shop look at the both of them. Miles in question was ducking his head, his hair not even enough to cover up his scarlet face as Kelly cackled further.

Rudy gritted his teeth again gave her a withered stare to say "yes, apparently some of my colleagues are freaking owls, yes this happens a lot, I am sorry."

The girl looked at Kelly again, a little put out and turned back to Rudy again, starting up again," yeah, okay. I am looking for the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, the first one: Storm Front. Yeah..."

Just before Rudy could sigh loudly because apparently some people couldn't look around an alphabetically, gendered layout of a bookstore and start typing up on the computer to look for it he was interrupted.

"YES!" a high voice almost shrieked beside Rudy and all but clambered over to him in his haste to get to the girl. Rudy couldn't help but jump out of his freaking skin as much as the girl. Realising what he did Miles looked at Rudy slowly, green eyes wide and to the girl and straightened up slightly, the colour of red staining his cheeks again. "I mean, yes it is I store. In fact I just finished all three copies that are in stock."

The girl blinked and then smiled brightly," oh thank god. I've been looking everywhere. It's for my friend, been trying to get him to read them for ages so I've decided to take the initiative and get them for his birthday. They are bloody brilliant, aren't they?"

With that the kid gave the girl a bright smile that even Rudy squinted at it was that bright and the both of them went into a full scale discussion about some wizard detective and showed her over to where the books were displayed.

Kelly whistled." Kid's got game."

Rudy gave her a look and back to the kid and the girl that were both laughing brightly." Just looks like he doesn't think you're worth playing for."

Kelly chuckled and leaned over and slapped him hard in the face and walked away, still laughing.

The girl and the kid stayed together talking for the next twenty minutes. Rudy was forced to take every customer yet again and was all but livid. He almost punched a hole through the computer screen when they got back to the counter and he rung her up, even asking her if she wanted a points card, the little dick and even got her number which she shyly wrote on his hand as he shyly let her. Disgusting.

"Dresden Files, huh?" Rudy said to him when the girl left.

Miles looked up, a little startled that Rudy was even speaking voluntarily then looked away again without answering but with a small smile playing at his lips that Rudy pretended to ignore.

A/N: so I found a computer so I could actually see what I am writing, writing on the phone is so taxing and irritiating for me you have no idea.

I haven't actualy read Dresden Files yet but I have got the books 1-7 and from what I have read in Storm Front it's pretty rad.

Please remember to vote and comment because they make me happy and happy mind makes more chapters ;)

Sweeter Than Fiction | ✓On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara