Twenty-Eight

"I'll just tell him that I'll load the back and you can sneak in," I said.

     Ava just nodded, her eyes turning this way and that way out of nervousness. I rested a hand on her forearm as if to tell her everything will be okay. Her mouth grew into a smile and she nodded, remembering what we were going for.

     Today was the day we'd start our search for Adrian.

     Today was also the day Joey wanted to go on a supply run, this time with other people on the mission too. So we wouldn't be leaving Joey alone to fend for himself, even though I'm sure he'd have been perfectly capable.

     Ava had never been on a supply run before, despite having some lessons on shooting, so I had to try my best to sneak her in our van, and when things became quiet and they didn't need us, we'd sneak away. They'd notice once we were long gone and we'd find our way back eventually. I didn't want to tell Joey or Lucy because they'd be quick to be against it. Two teens that barely had any experience in killing were going to go avenge the death of their Mum and friends. It just seemed a bit ridiculous to a normal person, and even though Joey had trusted me to come along with him alone to one of his supply runs, he wouldn't be crazy enough to let two of us go out alone to fend for ourselves. It was decided that we wouldn't tell them. But it's okay; we wouldn't be gone for long, I hoped.

     I let out a calming breath as I stared at Joey, who was sitting at a bench with Scotty, some sort of alcohol in their hands. They laughed and jeered as I made my way over to them.

     Scotty noticed me first, sending me a bright smile. He was going to be coming on the run as well. "Hey, champ," he greeted.

     "Hey," I replied shyly before turning to Joey. "Um, I was thinking of loading the van myself, if that's okay with you?"

     Joey stared. "It's alright, I can do it."

     Chuckling nervously, I said, "Oh, come on! You'll take forever. If I got the stuff ready, we'll be on the road quicker."

     Joey ignored the jibe, shrugged then took another swig. "Yeah, alright, get the bags out front and get your gear from Lucy and we'll be on the road."

     When I went to Lucy, I had asked for a spare handgun and she gave me a questioning stare but thought nothing of it when I eased her worries that all of her weapons would be back, then I made my way back to the van. I wasn't a good liar so how I managed to pull that off beats me, but I was glad it did.

     Ava was casually perched on one of the nearby benches when I waved her over with a bunch of bags in my arms, weighing me down.

     "You'll be under a few of these bags," I told her. "He won't notice you. When I open it, quickly run out before anyone sees you and we'll go."

     Ava nodded. "Sounds like a plan."

     "Go in. Hurry!"

     She scurried inside and lay flat against the corner of the van before I hastily covered her up with the bags that weren't as heavy as others alongside the bags she and I had inconspicuously packed for our personal trip. When I finished, she lay still.

     Just in time as Joey sidled beside me.

     "Done?" he said.

     I jumped and he backed up. "Uh, yeah."

     "You good? You look like you've just seen a ghost."

     I nodded my head then forced a smile. "Of course I'm okay. Are we going?"