Thirty-Three

What was I thinking? Since when did I get so impulsive? Then again, I guess people really did change after the zed virus spread. But even still, it was stupid of me to think I could just threaten Adrian with a gun in my hand and all my problems would go away. That just because I knew how to use it meant I was invincible? No. Would I even be able to handle killing Adrian? The thought of using my own gun on a person was unthinkable. All I thought of Adrian before we talked was that he was the reason my mother was dead and that he was going to pay. But as Cara, Ava and I stood watching them as they grabbed their bags to get ready to leave, I knew that wasn't going to be a possibility. Especially since now Adrian knew I wanted to get back at him and would make sure we wouldn't cross paths again. Or maybe he would just laugh it off, thinking a kid wouldn't be able to stand off against him, and maybe he'd be right.

     I felt paralysed as they gathered their things. Adrian warned us what would happen if we tried anything. It was more than embarrassing to wait for them, knowing we wouldn't be able to do anything. Staring at Ava beside me, I noticed her tear-streaked cheeks and it hurt to know I brought her here.

     We were still holding hands and I rubbed a thumb over hers. She looked at me for a moment, then turned her gaze back to the floor.

     "Okay, let's go," Adrian said, laughing at the sight of us. "You three will go first so we know you won't try anything." He held two bags over his shoulder. It seemed most of them did the same, except for Evie and Aaron who both had their guns aimed at us. Evie seemed to be enjoying this the most.

     Cara stood between us and looped her arms around our shoulders to reassure us as we walked. It wasn't too long before we heard faint steps behind us not too far back.

     Cara gripped our shoulders tight before letting out a breath. "Are you two okay?" she asked.

     Ava spoke first. "It just feels so pointless," she said. "All of this."

     "Yeah," I agreed. "Feel like this trip was for nothing and now he'll get away with it. Like he always has." I turned my head to face Ava. "I'm sorry."

     "What the hell are you sorry for? I'm the one that wanted to come with you," she said.

     Cara was unusually quiet.

     "Are you okay, Cara?" I asked. I felt bad about accusing her of being just as bad as the others when she was none the wiser of it and had even lost her brother because of Adrian.

     "Yes," she mumbled. With a low whisper, she said, "I have a plan. But it's kind of insane."

     "What does this plan entail?" I asked.

     Cara went quiet, listening for the group following behind. They weren't too far back, but they were far enough that they wouldn't be able to hear our chat. Cara kept staring forward as we got closer to the bridge, so as not to alarm the others that we were making a plan. Well, Cara came up with the plan and Ava and I still didn't know what it was. My heart began to beat quicker and harder against my chest.

     "Megan, I love you like my own little sister, okay? When Adrian lost you again, I pretty much went crazy," Cara said, sobs now wracking through her body. "And I want for you what I couldn't get for Drew."

     "Cara, what are you trying to say?" I asked. "You're scaring me."

     "I just needed you to hear that. That I would never do anything to hurt you."

     "I know that. I love you, too, Cara," I said with a smile. "Without you, I wouldn't be alive."

     Cara smiled through the tears. "Okay, the plan. Leave it all to me, but when I tell you to run, you run as fast as you can and get away from here."