Chapter 21 Green Curry

Rialoves2cook: Time for another Thai favourite, green curry! I didn't realize how blessed I was to be working in Bangkok until I tasted and cooked these amazing meals. They're even better with helpful advice from my local and lovely friend, Prae! Get ready for a market adventure and to learn more about this amazing country, (mostly from her since my big accomplishment today was learning my Thai numbers 555 aka hahaha!)

#greencurry #Thaifood #freshisbest #teacherswhocook
Posted Oct 19, 1:45 PM

YourOnlySunshine: My heart is bursting with second-homesickness right now! I've sent Dan on a Thai food mission and it's all your fault :P Pumped you're enjoying it out there, Ria.

ShawnWalker: Way to go, ladies! I'll keep Mitch occupied so he won't bug you to share again. We know who ate most of your biko 555!

PraeCharoensuk: 555! It was my pleasure, Maria! You're a natural with Thai recipes <3.

***

Maria had typed and deleted her response to Adrian's confession a dozen times with fumbling fingers. He'd all but told her he didn't love Kelsey. Had they broken up? You're still the only one meant his feelings for Maria were alive despite the distance, his relationship, and her bailing on his show last month. Why was the timing so terrible?

She deleted her latest text: No one comes close to you <3. While it was true, it left her in a very vulnerable place, one where he'd strung her up for a month. Would he turn around and say his feelings had changed or that he couldn't betray Kelsey again? It wasn't logical for him to sweet-talk her while seeing Kelsey, especially after claiming he wanted to stay faithful to that traitor. Although, he had no problem sleeping with her while dating Maria, so maybe his words didn't mean much.

She could ask if they were together, but that would kill the high of him caring for her. After the hell those two put her through, she deserved at least a weekend of happiness. She'd keep the naïve optimism and glanced at the time. Prae would be meeting her downstairs any minute. Maria settled on a simple reply he could interpret how he wanted:

Maria: Miss you <3

After throwing on comfy clothes, she ran down to the apartment courtyard, where Prae chatted with Shawn.

Prae gave Maria a hug. "You look so cute!" She clasped her hands together, and Maria straightened her back. "Are you and Shawn playing basketball?" Prae asked.

Maria's smile faded as she inspected her casual clothes, which contrasted Prae's collared lace dress with a cute bow belt. Prae was trying to be polite. "No, I didn't think the market we're visiting was so fancy. You look stunning!" She turned to Shawn as Prae's last statement hit her. "Do they let us use the courts?"

Shawn nodded and grabbed the basketball on the bench. "Mitch and I are here most weekend mornings before it gets sweltering. There's always room for more people."

Her gaze drifted from the nets to the ball tucked under his arm. She told him she'd consider it, even though she hadn't played in over a year. After moving in with Adrian, the time she dedicated to her hobbies dwindled. If she let him into her life for more than a distance movie, she'd have to keep that balance to remain her own person. For now, Prae and the market would distract her.

Maria and Prae walked to the street to catch a bus. Colourful taxis, large trucks, and overcrowded motorbikes whizzed by, filling each breath with diesel and gasoline fumes. A pickup truck stopped near them, and a family climbed into a crowded box outfitted with rails, a roof and padded seats. Maria's eyebrows raised, and her gaze flickered to Prae, who held back a laugh.