Chapter 23 Khao Soi

Rialoves2cook: We're off to Northern Thailand for a tasty curry and coconut noodle soup called khao soi! And trust me, if I had any money left in my bank account, I'd be flying up there tonight to eat this all weekend. Prae is back and showed me this recipe, just as her mother taught her. So glad to find a kindred spirit in Bangkok!

#NorthernThailand #specialguest #foodmates #soupforthesoul #TastesoftheWorld

Posted October 27th, 4:00 PM

***

After a refreshing nap, Maria ventured to the courtyard for another cuisine outing with Prae. Nearby, Mitch and Shawn scrimmaged, both trudging like swimming manatee. Perhaps Shawn had gone out with Mitch, whose moans had woken her up last night. Mitch's bed partner wasn't Becca, and Maria had cringed when discerning that. This place needed thicker walls, or she needed earplugs.

The situation made her wince for Becca, who seemed to like him. How could he hurt her like that? It stirred up Maria's insecurities about Adrian. She was pulling him away from Kelsey while the woman focused on her studies. Maria had given up her honours program for Adrian, which by Kelsey's cheating logic made Maria more worthy of Adrian's love than that home-wrecker. But was Maria willing to use Kelsey's thinking to justify her actions? That betrayal had been damn painful, and Kelsey loved Adrian regardless of how he felt about her. Continuing the deception would only lead to suffering for everyone.

The smack of a ball on plastic drew Maria's attention to the game. Shawn's shots mostly hit net or backboard, but his hesitation cost him several attempts. In contrast, Mitch took every opportunity he could. Fewer of his attempts sunk, but the ones that did were impressive.

"Going to join us?" Shawn asked.

When Maria stuck out her flip-flops as an explanation, Mitch shook his head. "This is Asia. People climb mountains and trek through rainforests in those."

"I'm waiting on Prae, then I'll be out of your way."

"You were never in our way." Mitch bounced the ball to her.

Without thinking, she stood to catch it, dribbled, and shot from her position. The ball soared toward the net and sunk with a swish.

"Nothing but net," Shawn said. "Maybe we can talk Becca into a game of two-on-two."

With a shrug, Mitch chased after the ball. Prae's arrival saved her from answering. Even though accepting the invitation would be awkward if he and Becca weren't working out, she longed to shoot hoops again.

"This time you are playing basketball." Prae grinned and clasped her hands together. "See, I know."

"What about you Prae? Are you a basketball player too?" Shawn asked.

Prae giggled and shook her head. "It reminds me of netball, and I haven't played since I was young. I never enjoyed standing on the chair and holding the basket. But you boys enjoy your game."

Mitch jogged back with the ball under his arm. "Where are you heading?"

"She's teaching me to make khao soi." Maria turned to Prae, and asked, "Am I saying that right?"

With a smile, Prae repeated it with the correct intonation, falling for "cow" and mid-tone for "soy".

"How does a guy score an invite?" He flashed his white teeth. "I miss Northern Thai food, and I'd be great for your channel, Maria."

Shaking her head, she couldn't help but agree most of her followers would find him charming and easy on the eyes, but Adrian would read into it no matter how she introduced him. After tucking her hands in her jean pockets, Prae rocked from her heel to her toe with stiff shoulders. She avoided Mitch's gaze.