Ten

Valerie P.O.V.

"Hey beautiful," Kean greeted as he came over to hug Ellana hello with a big smile. Aw, that was sweet.

I glanced over behind them, as I saw the stranger start walking in my direction. Oh Shoot. Act natural Val. He was attractive, with dark hair and chocolate brown eyes, not as attractive as Carter though, I thought. Ugh brain, why are you always betraying me?! The three of them rolled in looking like a boy band sent from heaven, they could have a million girls fall at their feet. Who were these people seriously?!

"Hey, I'm Alec," he smiled as he sat down to introduce himself.

"I'm Valerie," I smiled back.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm a friend of Kean's and Carter's," he explained.

"Nice to meet you too," I held out my hand for him to shake, as he took it in his.

"You know, you seem really nice... I can't imagine you driving Carter a little nuts," he chuckled. I scrunched my eyebrows at his response. I've been driving Carter nuts? Huh... Nice to know that little tease worked then.

"Thanks," I chuckled, "and I have?" I asked a little confused, hoping he would elaborate.

"Yup. You've been avoiding him huh?" he gave me a knowing look as I nodded with a sheepish grin. "Thanks for knocking him down a pedestal. I think he's met his match in you, he thinks he's lost his game," Alec said amusedly, as we both broke out into laughter and looked over to our main topic of conversation.

Carter looked better than ever in a black muscle tee, chinos and a pair of sneakers as he stood chatting to a few people. He turned his gaze to the both of us, before his eyes hardened and his lips pressed into a flat line.

"Okay... well I'm gonna go catchup with some friends and pretend I didn't just expose him in front of you," Alec said, noticing the glare directed at us. "Good luck," he winked over his shoulder. Hmm, I like this guy.

"Thanks Alec," I waved before he made himself scarce.

Carter sauntered over and sat smack bang right next to me. Oh boy. After two weeks of successfully dodging him, we finally encountered each other in person. The air began to buzz with tension as soon as he was within the vicinity.

"So what happened, you broke your phone or something?" He enquired.

"Sorry, I was a little busy with my exams and work."

Lie. I was busy chanting the no Carter mantra.

"Sureee." He didn't believe me. But I don't believe me either. No one could ever be too busy to send a 15 second text.

"So, what was with those little evil eyes earlier?" I asked him curiously with a hint of devilish glee.

"Nothing," he shrugged nonchalantly. "Didn't know you and Alec were close."

"What?" I quirked an eyebrow at him. "Are you... jealous?" I smirked, narrowing my eyes to watch his expression. He let nothing slip, as he continued to sit there and shook his head lightly. Hmm....

"You're on summer break now right? That must be a relief," he noted, switching subjects as he casually leaned back on his arms. Oh god. Don't look at his arms Val! I couldn't help it though, the muscle tee was literally showcasing all his hard work at the gym.

Clearing my throat, I replied: "Yeah, now I have more free time on my hands."

"Great, then you'll finally pick up whenever I call." He said matter-of-factly.

"Excuse me, what makes you think I want to pick up?" I scoffed with an unimpressed look on my face at his arrogance.

"Your little act on FaceTime told me otherwise," he shot back, leaning in closer, daring me to admit it, as we engaged in a mini-staredown contest.