Thirteen

Valerie P.O.V.

Two words.

Carter Bryson.

Carter Bryson was standing outside my apartment door.

"Hey Valerie," the fine-looking specimen said as he stepped inside, planting one hand on my hip and a kiss on my temple, as if this was a normally occurring, everyday thing.

I turned around to see him walk further into the apartment, casually observing his surroundings.

"Cute place, you should come decorate mine some time," he said, sending a light-hearted smile my way.

"What?" was all my blank mind could spit out.

He chuckled at my reply before walking over towards where I stood at the door.

"You ready to go?" he asked tilting his head to the side.

I scrunched up my face in question. Huh? Someone call the damn fire brigade to hose the flames burning down all my brain cells!!!

"You're cute when you make that face," he chuckled again as he tapped the tip of my nose.

"Carter, what are you doing here?" Finally. Only took you like 5 minutes to speak Valerie!

"I'm picking you up to take you to Kean's," he responded matter-of-factly.

"What?"

Wow okay. Now I'm back to a 2-yr old's vocabulary.

"Oh didn't Ellana tell you? Maybe check your phone."

Of course. A text was sitting unopened in my inbox from Ellana, saying that she had stayed the night at Kean's house, so she would already be there before the party and if I could please pack her yellow bikinis and some clothes, that would be great. Oh, and one last thing; "P.S. Carter is coming to get you." I hadn't checked my phone since this morning because I was working and it was now almost 3pm. Major face-palm.

"Right, sorry haha," I mumbled nervously. Now that I think about it, he was standing in a stripey shirt and a pair of navy swimming shorts... "Give me a moment, and um... take a seat on the sofa! I'll be out soon." I basically shoved him into the direction of the living room and ran into my bedroom.

I flung on a mint-coloured bikini, some blue denim cut-offs and a cropped graphic tee, before slapping on some SPF tinted moisturiser and chapstick which I also shoved into a bag for Ellana's use. I grabbed two towels and an outfit for Ellana before slipping on some slides and skipped out into the living room.

"Okay I'm done," I said, puffing out a breath. Standing up from the sofa, he gave me a once over before snatching the bag straight out of my hands.

"Let me carry this for you Madame," he said, giving me a boyish grin.

"Like you even gave me a choice!" I playfully scoffed. I couldn't help but feel my heart swell at how kind of adorable it was, and the way he did it was oh so Carter-like.

~

We pulled up to the same gigantic house that previously held Carter's birthday party. It turns out that this was Alec's parents' house, but Alec and Kean both lived here as it was close to Hollywood and they grew up together as family friends.

"Sup Carter, nice to see you again Valerie," Alec said cheerily, giving us a head nod, as we stepped into the living room.

"Hey Alec," I grinned, happy to see a friendly face. Loud, bouncing steps drew closer as Kean and Ell rounded the corner looking extra jolly.