25. C H A S E - P A R T ٢

I WILL EDIT IN THE INTRO AND STUFF LATER BUT I'M TOO EXCITED FOR THIS CHAPTER AND NEED YOU ALL TO SEE IT!

R U N A W A Y S
جُمَادَىٰ ٱلْأُولَىٰ
R U S S I C A D A

"What queer eyes you have!"

The old fisherman cackled away, his dulled dark eyes beady and cunning. Men around him swivelled their heads around to stare at the object of the remark - which happened to be Falaq.

She wrinkled her nose in distaste- men like him were the worst - they never minded their own business. She hastily dug into her dismally light pouch and pulled out the last of her coins, dumping them in the old fisherman's outstretched hands. Fighting the urge to smack away his shameful gaze, Falaq grabbed the dried fish strips and pushed her way out of the seaside market. Someway away the dock gave way to deserted wooden platforms that would busy themselves once again tomorrow morning as fishermen braved the seas. She decided to sit with her feet dangling above the water, relishing momentary solitude in the crowded Russicada.

The sun dipped low into the sea, last rays illuminating the edges of a watery blue evening sky. Large clouds were gathered at the horizon, slowly reaching out to cover the dome above them. The waves seemed to grow in the creeping darkness, mysterious shapes reaching out with each swell. She imagined them to be a herd of wild horses, galloping toward her but never quite making it ashore. Falaq had never seen the sea before they arrived in Russicada - Taghrid has been mainly inland, and the main water source had been wells or the river some many miles away.

It was strange how similar the sea and the desert seemed. They were both desolate, yet just as breathtakingly vast, powerful and the holders of many secrets. One day they would bare witness to the many events that occurred in their domain.

"May I join you?"

The voice belonged to Idegir, and Falaq had been expecting him. His leg had given him away. They hadn't spoken much since they'd met. Her attention was entirely consumed by her best friend. She had only seen him as someone who had distracted Amaan from the issue at hand, although even she knew it was an irrational thought. Still, she felt a small resentment toward the crippled comrade.

"It would be disheartening to turn you away" Falaq muttered reluctantly, eyeing the man as he made to sit down. She did not miss his subtle movement away from her, respecting her space as a woman.

Not that he would stand a chance, she thought haughtily as her hand fingered the bow strapped to her body.

Idegir noticed the small motion, and a smile split his face. Falaq blinked - how had she not noticed how handsome he was earlier? His eyes twinkled that much more, and the carved features of his masculine face melded into a devastatingly beautiful alignment.

"You and I do not know each other too well" he surmised, "I thought it time to introduce myself to you in a fair manner, what do you say?"

Falaq said nothing, her eyes narrowed at his friendliness.

Unperturbed, Idegir carried on "I am Idegir, chief of the Numidian Guard. Well," he cocked his head from side to side "former Guard. I suppose this leg has chosen my retirement age" he chuckled, but the mirth did not reach his eyes.

Falaq moved her gaze to his mangled leg. It was difficult to see it in the darkening sky, but it didn't look in good shape and the gauz was too dirty for it to be doing it any good.

"I am Falaq" she said softly, looking back up at him, "I will not enlighten you with my identity, for I am not sure I know it myself yet" she smiled under her veil, though he could not see it, "I am not versed with being kind. I grew up with seven brothers, and they were all much more amicable than I. I am sorry I did not show curtesy toward you Idegir, it is not in my nature"