[9]

No way. No fucking way this is happening.

I was subconsciously expecting the phone call that was soon to follow, and as soon as my phone rang, my fingers were automatically answering the call and putting my phone to my ear.

"Have you seen?"

My voice came out strangled. "Looking at it right now."

"Explain."

"It's not true."

"I figured."

Zara's bitter tone jolted me out of my shock, and I snapped back defensively. "It wasn't what happened!"

"I know it wasn't what happened! But you should have been more careful, Demi! How could you have let this happen? Do you even know how much I'm going to have to do to get you out of this much shit?"

"That's your job, isn't it?" I shot back angrily.

How could Zara even think I could have prevented this? It was entirely taken out of context!

"It may be my job, but it's something we'll have to do together, Demi. My phone has been ringing nonstop ever since the paper came out! Danielle's mother went to the cops, Demi! The cops! They're only giving you two choices."

My heart stopped at the mention of the cops, and I sat down, afraid that I wouldn't be steady on my feet. "The.. The cops?"

"Yes, the cops." There was an edge to Zara's voice. "We might have been inclined to letting you keep Dani before, but this is the last straw. You need to send her back."

I kept silent as Dani slowly plodded into view, her hair rumpled and silent sobs leaving her mouth slightly ajar as she hugged Buttons. "You weren't there," she whimpered. "You weren't there."

"Zara, I have to go," I muttered into the phone, ignoring her yell as I hung up and ran to Dani.

I pulled the child to me, her hysterical crying muffled by my shirt. "Baby, what's wrong?"

"I woke up.. And.. And you weren't there!" Dani burst into another round of sobs.

I kissed Dani's cheek, stroking her hair. "Is that it? I'm so sorry, honey. I meant to just make some coffee and go back up, but I got a little.. Sidetracked."

Dani hiccupped. "You w-weren't there and all the m-monsters were jumping up at me!" She wrapped her arms around me, and I lifted her up, trying to sooth her.

"It's okay, baby. You're safe now, all right? The monsters can't get to you here."

My eyes fell onto the newspaper article as I walked past it, and I quickly shoved it into the wastepaper basket before Dani could see the headline.

Fuck the paparazzi and those stupid tabloids.

I sat Dani down on the kitchen island, smiling down at her. "What do you want for.."

My words trailed off when I caught sight of several deep nail imprints in Dani's thigh. Oh my god.

"Dani, what are these?"

"The monsters did it," Dani answered quietly. "They did it when you weren't there."

I hugged Dani, my arms tightening around her smaller body. "I'm sorry."

My phone rang again, and I answered it, putting it to my ear as I held Dani. "Hello?"

"Demi, you need to fucking listen to me," Zara warned quietly.

Fuck. I'm so dead. Zara never cursed. Not unless she was beyond mad.

"I'm listening."