[14]

Jayden came over the next day. Both Dani and Marissa were still in bed while he made me breakfast.

I twisted side to side on the stool. "You're, like, my personal chef."

He laughed. "Well, I can't help that you're a horrible cook and I'm nice enough to fix your problem."

After a few more minutes, Jayden produced a bowl of fruit salad and several fried eggs. I smiled at him when he slid the bowl before me. "Aw, thanks, pretty boy."

"You're welcome," Jayden replied, giving me a half hearted smile.

I stabbed a strawberry with my fork and put it into my mouth, swallowing before asking, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong."

I gave him a look. "I'm not stupid. Tell me what's bothering you."

Jayden was avoiding my gaze. "It's just.. Danielle being back won't affect our friendship, right? I mean.. We only became friends because you were bored and had nothing to do because you didn't have Danielle to occupy your time, but now that she's back.."

I was taken by surprise. Was he dumb or just dumb?

And before he knew what was coming, I'd slapped him right across the face. "Idiot."

"Hey, what was that for?" Jayden asked indignantly, as I continued with my breakfast.

"Because you're stupid," I giggled with my mouth full.

Jayden frowned and clamped his hand over my mouth. "Ladies don't talk with their mouths full."

I spat my food into Jayden's hand, laughing. "And men don't put their hands on girls."

"Gross!" Jayden dropped the goo into the bin and went to wash his hands.

"Fuck!"

My heart dropped to my stomach when I recognized the owner of that high pitched voice.

"Fuck, what's a boy doing here?"

I whipped around. "Dani! What did you just say?"

Dani clamboured into my arms. "Fuck!" She giggled. "Rissa taught it to me!"

"Marissa! Get your ass down here now!" I yelled out the open doorway.

"Don't say that word again, all right, baby girl? It's a bad word. A very bad, bad word."

Dani was nodding absently as she leaned over me and pulled the drawer open. Then, she pulled out the bottle full of 'monster spray'. By the time I realized what she was about to do, it was too late.

I couldn't help laughing when Dani opened the bottle and dumped the entire contents on Jayden's head.

"I'm sorry, Jayce," I apologized halfheartedly, then burst out laughing. "You had it coming, anyway."

I mean, I guess it was my fault for not warning him about Dani, but he should have expected it. He studied psycology, didn't he?

Where's Marissa, anyway?

Right on cue, Marissa appeared in the doorway then. "You yelled?"

I covered Dani's ears before starting to should at Marissa. "Did you teach my baby girl how to say the word fuck?!"

She shrugged, going to open the fridge. "I stubbed my toe, and she happened to be there." I gave her a look, and she smirked. "Sorry?"

"Not forgiven!"

Marissa gave a sigh before turning to Jayden, a milk carton in hand. "Can you please keep your girlfriend in check?"

I uncovered Dani's ears as I flushed red. "I am not dating Jayce, all right?"