Chapter Seven: The Bullies

The summer passed and the long days of school began.   Kismet dreaded the idea of school, but now that he had Prestige, he didn’t mind it as much.  One the first day of the new semester, Kismet and Prestige were walking a familiar sandy road when two students snuck up from behind and shoved Kismet to the ground.

               “How’d that feel, Whitmore?” snarled one boy, raising his lunch pail high above his head.  “Can’t you hear me?  That’s right, you don’t hear nothing!”  The pail swung down and all Kismet could do was shield his face. 

               “Stop there, Henry, that dog is a-growlin’ atcha!” warned the other boy as he staggered behind his friend.

               The boy lowered the pail and elbowed his smaller friend in the chest.  “Quit acting like a scaredy-cat; if that dog wanted to bit us, he’d done it all ready!”  the boy went to strike Kismet against before his friend caught his arm.

               “Uh uh, let’s not!  You see them yeller-colored eyes?  A the coat and all?  It ain’t a dog, it’s a wolf!  And I heard of a wolf being here—didn’t think such a creature as fine as he be Whitmore’s pet, but we better not pick a fight.”

               “Shut up, Billy, you just scared!  He’s no different from a dog!”  the boy ran straight for the wolf this time, whirling his pail over his head like helicopter propellers.  He hollered and threw small rocks at the wolf, hoping to bring a fight out if him.  The wolf only stood by Kismet, keeping his eyes soft and his fangs concealed.  The wolf knew he could kill the boy, but he also knew that his duty was to protect Kismet—no matter what.

               “Come on you, lazy coward, fight!”  Henry hurled the pail at Prestige, knocking him in the face. 

               The wolf’s hackles rose and his head lowered. A glower passed over the animal and his lips quivered.  Kismet, noticing Prestige’s change of position, saddled up beside the wolf and laid a gentle hand on his back.  In firm, but soothing motions, Kismet stroked the wolf’s head.  Prestige’s back descended from the arch and he turned and licked Kismet’s cheek.

               “Stupid wolf!  Come on, Whitmore!  He ain’t nothing special!”  Henry made for the two, screaming and flinging his arms wildly above his head. 

               In one movement, before any of the boys could blink, the wolf was on top of Henry with a paw on both sides of the Henry’s face.  Prestige glared at Henry; his nostrils flared in anger and the whites of his teeth showed enough times to send shivers down the boy’s spine. 

               “Alright, alright!  I asked for more than I bargained for!  You ain’t so tough, Whitmore!  Wait till my cousin Tom moves in, he’ll deck you!”  Henry shook a fist at Whitmore before turning his attentions back to the wolf.

               “Neither understand what you’re saying, Henry!  Get up, and let’s go to school!”  Billy pleaded. 

               “Fine!”  Henry surrendered as he flicked a stone in Kismet’s direction.  When Kismet gave him two eyes, Henry gestured to Prestige.  “Get him off, will you?”

               Kismet nodded his head and stood up.  He went over to Prestige and grabbed a handful of fur and flesh. He tugged at the loose skin until Prestige left Henry alone.  Henry jumped to his feet and brushed the debris off his overalls.  He stared at Kismet and pointed a threatening finger at him.  “My Pa hates your Pa, therefore, I hate you!  And your damn wolf!”

               Billy, being only ten-years-old, nudged Henry in the ribs.  “What’d he done?  What did his pa do to your pa?”

               Henry sneered at Kismet and murmured under his breath.  “He married Pa’s lover.”

               “What?  What about your Ma?”

               “Ah, he don’t like her that much,” Henry replied carelessly as he snatched his pail and sauntered off down the road with his head bowed in frustration and anger.  Billy hurried after him, looking once behind him at the wolf.

               Kismet sighed and knelt down to the hug wolf.

               I wish I could tell you how grateful I am that you’re here.  Kismet thought to himself, giving Prestige a long embrace.  If I could say something…the boy opened his mouth and squeezed his eyes shut.  With every muscle in his throat, and every air in his lungs, he strained to form a word.  Everything he wanted to say seemed to push against the walls of his skull.  The amount of energy it was taking to say one word was exhausting, he could not go on.  Kismet exhaled loudly and dropped his head on Prestige’s shoulder.  He shook his head in sadness and a tear dropped from his eyes.

               Prestige only lifted his head and placed his muzzled over Kismet’s shoulder.  A silence came between them and the only sounds that were in the air were the rustling of birds in the shrubs beside them and the soft humming of the wind.   Prestige lifted his head and nuzzled Kismet’s hands, telling him that his time to speak would come at the right time.