Chapter Twenty-One: A Sliver of Hope

Kismet wiped the tears from his eyes and placed Banner on the ground. He stood up and stared down at the body. Whimpering, Kismet clutched the sides of his head and walked over to his hatchet.  He looked down and stared at the weapon that had served him no purpose. In agony, he kicked the hatchet, sending it nowhere, and dropped to the ground. With both his fists, he struck the earth, shouting in a pain he had never felt. As he remained crouched on the ground, he saw from his the corner of his eyes, a flash of black. Without hesitation, he snatched the hatchet and jumped to his feet just in time to meet face to face with the bear.

               In a wild swing, he hacked at the bear’s shoulder, laying the flesh open to the bone. The bear moaned and stumbled to the ground. But it hadn’t been defeated. The bear rose to his feet again. Kismet, with sweat trickling down his face and his hands shaking uncontrollably, kept his eyes locked on the beast. The bear rumbled a growl of frustration and made another leap at Kismet. Kismet yelled and felt the hatchet cut through the back of the animal’s neck.

               “Prestige?  Prestige!  Where are you?”  Kismet hollered before tumbling to the ground. He felt a warm stream of blood dribble down his leg and the shadow of the bear circling him. He gripped his hatchet and turned around. A blow in the face sent him sprawling through the dust. Kismet shook his head and placed a hand against his face, more blood appeared on his fingertips.  Kismet pressed his two fingers against his tongue, inhaled deeply, and whistled the two notes. The last note was interrupted by another swipe in the face. This time, Kismet had feared he had lost.

               Banner’s dead. I will never find Shirley…or Jovie. I might as well die, too.

              Kismet dropped his head against the soil and closed his eyes, giving his life up. But before he had fully embraced his chosen death, a spark of hope that Prestige could still be alive, brought the boy to his senses and he made one last effort to save himself. Kismet clutched the hatcher, turned over on his back, and when he saw the bear rear up over him, he lodged the hatchet deep into the bear’s chest. The bear’s mouth opened wide and fell to the ground. Dust spewed in the air and blood splattered all over the boy. It was over.

               Kismet yanked the hatchet from the animal and holstered it back to his side. He stayed seated to catch his breath before he went off to find Prestige.  After a moment, he stood up and trudged back into the woods. He stared at the ground, searching for tracks. He spotted tufts of hair and trails of blood, but no sign of his wolf. He continued, feeling his hope dwindling the longer he searched. Just as when he thought it couldn’t get any worse, he missed a step and fell straight down the side of gorge. The world came in flashes of gray and green, and it wasn’t long before his body slammed against a rock, sending him tumbling in another direction. Kismet tried to stop the speed, but momentum was his enemy and he spilled right over another edge. Only this time, it seemed that this one never ended.

               The boy looked down and saw a ledge beneath him, if it held his weight he had a good chance of surviving. Please God…Kismet prayed as his body struck the surface. He slid forward a bit, but he caught himself and the only thing that fell to its demise was the hatchet. Kismet sighed and closed his eyes. There, he blacked out. What felt like only a moment passing, Kismet woke up to find a light rain washing his soreness away. A pleasant smile lit up his face and he stood up, keep one hand on the surface behind him. While he tottered in search of his balance, he observed his foreign surroundings.  If it hadn’t been by accident he landed on the ledge, he could have appreciated the beauty. The bright green tree tops and the vivid blue in the river below would have delighted him, but instead, he feared the distance between him and nature. All he could see was his death.

               Kismet pressed himself against the rocks behind him and stared at his feet. I’m ain’t dead. I’m gonna be fine. I’m gonna be fine. Kismet curled up in a tight ball and closed his eyes again, hoping to fall asleep. But if it wasn’t the rain or the height, it was hunger that kept him awake. Dear God, Kismet whispered in his soul, I don’t care if nobody finds me, but please, don’t let me die.  The boy’s eyes fluttered in exhaustion before settling in a peaceful slumber.

               Kismet jerked himself awake and was greeted by glowing rays of the sun. He raised a hand to shield his eyes and looked up at the journey above him. The climb above the ledge he was under appeared easy, but getting around the ledge would be a challenge. Being already wounded in the leg by the bear and feeble from lack of food, Kismet knew he was risking a dangerous feat. Maybe I can climb down? Find an easier way up? Kismet squatted and peered over the edge. It was straight drop. Kismet pursed his lips in disappointment and returned to his only option. The longer he stared at his monster, the more he saw it impossible. I’ll try once more. The boy looked at his fingers in desperation, and seeing them as his last hope he placed them in his mouth, and blew two long crisp notes. If he anyone could have heard it, they would have cried. He had whistled that signal so many times, he could make it the beginning of a haunting lullaby.

               The boy lowered his hand and stared up at the top of the mountain, waiting; watching; wishing. No response. Kismet sniffed back the tears and squared his shoulders. He slid down to the ground and looked over at the ridge traveling far above him. The surface of mountain went as far as he could see in both directions. It was beautiful, seeing all the trees lined up in front of the edge, he couldn’t have seen it if he hadn’t ended up on the ledge. Trying to be optimistic, Kismet sat there and counted the number of trees and tried to find something different about each one. While he studied his new observation, he caught sight of a figure heading in his direction. Standing up to get a better view, Kismet squinted. He knew that stride all too well.  A smile leapt on his face and with all the strength he could muster, he threw his head back and cried out,

               “Prestige!”