Chapter Ten

Skye

I was staring at the teddy bear that Ethan had brought me, gently stroking its fur and smiling at it feeling warm and fuzzy inside. I smiled every time my eyes fell on it. I've been in this musing state ever since Ethan stepped into my room. Being sick never felt better. The low knock on the door pulled me out of my daydream and dropped me back into reality.

"Skye sweetie, are you awake?" Aunt Sophie's voice came through.

"Yes" I started to regain my voice. There were a few cough attacks every now and then, but no fever. Drained and exhausted though.

Sophie's head peaked through the door, she had a big smile on her face, "How are you feeling today?"

I sat up crossing my legs and patted the empty space, "Good, a bit tired but well. Bored from staying in bed the whole time."

"That's why I'm here, are you up for some girls talk?" She stepped inside and wiggled an enormous bag full of goodies in front of me.

I giggled and scooted farther back providing as much space as possible for Sophie and the yummy-yummies.

Sophie took the other end of bed and crossed her legs. She started to pull things out of the bag naming them in process, "We have candy, chocolate bars, Oreos, chocolate chip cookies, oats cookies, multiple flavor bags of chips, cupcakes, pretzels and salty-sticks to dip in chocolate spread, the chocolate spread, juices, flavored milk and soft drinks. Oh and peanut butter, don't ask me why, but it seemed like something to be added to the bag."

I laughed, "All the healthy choices that I love."

She laughed too, "Everything we have here is basically natural, give or take a few artificial additives. Technically chocolate did come from a tree."

That had me nodding, "True, true."

I studied the choices scattered on my bed. Every single one of them was more tempting than the other. I chose a salt and vinegar for starters. I opened it and started munching, enjoying the crunchiness as I bit into those thinly sliced crisps, then that salty, sour flavor hits the tongue right away.

Aunt Sophie choose the Honey-BBQ and the crunching sounds filled the room.

"Do you have work today?" I asked between munches.

"I'm covering the evening shift. I'll get Matt from school before I leave for work."

There was a stretching silence, which was ironic because this was a 'girls' talk'. It was clear she had something to say, but was too quiet.

"What are you thinking of?" I offered.

Aunt Sophie smiled, hesitated, then dropped the slice of chips she was holding back like she has suddenly lost her appetite, "Wh... what do you think of Hank?"

I blinked at her in confusion, unable to process the question before tilting my head. Perhaps changing the angle would help me understand the question better, but I came out empty handed.

I thought things were going well between them.

She shrugged, concentrating on the threads that stuck out her ripped jeans and started picking on them, "I mean, do you like him?"

Understanding downed on me and I felt my chest tighten. Right now, that was Aunt Sophie being Aunt Sophie, the responsible guardian and care giver. She wasn't asking for her sake, but for ours, Matt and I. This was her evaluating her relationship based on us. She was thinking about us.

This woman, who has broken up with her fiancé and canceled her wedding for us after mom and dad passed away. The same woman who has turned down every single guy who crossed her path and chose me and my brother instead.