Chapter Seventeen

Skye

Exams were almost over and to my relief, and English was last subject. We could finally relax a little. I think we did well so far. For the difficult subjects we held short study sessions all four of us, Abby, Timothy, Ethan and I which made it easier for all of us and gave us some time to reconnect.

Ethan took his exams in a separate class-room with an assigned assistant, he was confidant with his work and that made us both happy.

With Hank travelling, Ethan's father drove him to school and later we would take my car to either his house or mine. My mini-cooper wasn't his most preferred method of transportation with Ethan being tall and broad shouldered. Even with his seat reclined and adjusted to it farthest point, his knees would still rest uncomfortably against the glove compartment.

Sometimes Matt tagged along when Aunt Sophie worked the evening shift and he loved hanging out at Ethan's house. I swear, if this boy could live there he would.

Why wouldn't he? George and Clair adored him and Edna baked him his favorite chocolate-chip cookies every time he came and told him stories, absolutely spoiling him. The boy was living the dream. Not to mention, Matt looked up to Ethan and respected him a great deal.

I went back to my car to fetch the English notes that I've forgotten there, by the time I got back Matt and Ethan were talking. Those were some of my favorite moments, when I watched Ethan become a big brother to Matt, so, I lurked in the shadows, shamelessly watching them.

I didn't hear what they were saying before, but from the wide-eyed expression on Matt's face and the way his jaw hung open, I'd say Ethan had a surprise for him. Not sooner I saw my brother jumping exuberantly.

"Are you sure I can have your Xbox?" Matt asked hugging the thing to his heart.

"Of course. There isn't a better person that I could think of to give it to." Ethan smiled lightly. "You're the best man for that."

I silently 'Aww' -ed when Matt hugged him.

As far as I could remember Matt has always wanted an Xbox. Dad promised him that he would buy him one, but then the accident happened. Matt never spoke about it again.

I've never told Ethan about that story, I didn't find it me yet to speak about my parents. But to witness him unknowingly fulfilling dad's promise to my brother had my heart swell with infatuation towards him. And he sweetly did it behind my back.

"Thank you!" Matt mumbled.

Ethan grinned and ruffled his hair before patting his shoulder, "You're welcome."

Then Ethan's voice took a serious big brother tone, "But you have to promise me that you will finish all your homework and chores first. We don't want Sophie or Skye to be mad at us".

Matt looked at him with a cute determination on his sweet face and vowed, "I promise."

"There are some CDs for you on the shelf over there." Ethan pointed his thump behind him.

Matt almost fainted from sheer happiness as he grabbed the box. He wanted to say something, but turned shy. His none-blurted question recited in shuffling his feet.

Ethan caught on the sound of Matt's shuffle and he laughed, "You can go ahead and try it out. Ask Edna to help you set it up, she an expert on that, but don't let her kind face fool, she can kick butt when she plays."

The look on that kid's face was like he has just found a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

"Th-ank yo-u!" He yelled as he ran downstairs, he didn't even notice me standing by the door. His legs took the stairs two steps at a time.