Chapter Thirteen

Ethan

Guests started to arrive at our house. Friends and family joined the gathering that mum and dad held for gramps after he fully recovered from surgery. It was just a small party as mum would call it.

It has been a long time since I've attended one of those. After the accident I didn't want to leave the house or talk to anyone. The times I've shut my parents out when they suggested that I should join them were numerous.

The countable events that I've agreed to go to were only because I've had been disappointing them a lot. It was kind of a way to ease my guilty conscious for the things I've had said or done and even then- they were never easy. Those events were a constant reminder to what happened. The questions always bothered me.

How are you adapting?

Does it still hurt?

Did you get another doctor's opinion?

Is it permanent?

You can't see anything, light, shadows, nothing?

The lists never ended. And I had to answer every single question without losing my patience -that was a challenge I never won-.

To answer the same question from two different people was always agitating, and it was only a matter of time before I've lost that faked front I've had on display. It was either dad leaving in the middle of the event to drive me home or Hank driving over to pick me. The whole thing was getting on my nerves.

Form then onwards, it was only a matter of time until I pulled myself away from my parent's social lives and stopped going all together, and they've stopped asking too. It was the best decision for everyone.

Plus, crowded places and I didn't get along very well. At least at school people learned to step out of my way. Bumping into guests was unpreventable and the constant chatter around me always had my nerves on their shortest of fuse. Not knowing my surrounding and being in an unfamiliar place never helped.

This time, well... this time I was there, I was familiar with my house. I knew where everything was. The only challenges were to not walk into people and not to lose my temper. The other up side was that I've invited Skye. Abby and Timothy too of course, but with finals on the way Timothy was cramming for exams and he took Abby down with him. Skye wasn't here yet and I could hardly wait. Of course I had all the usual questions to entertain me until she got here.

"Hey..."

Finally!

Her sweet voice was like music to my ears and all of me came back to life. "Hey you."

"Sorry that I'm late, I took a wrong turn at some point. "Her voice smiled as she got closer.

"I'm just happy that you're here." I grinned.

"Your house is beautiful." She spoke slowly like she was looking around, "And you clean up well." Her small body pressed against mine and her voice held a pleased edge, "Black suites you."

"Glad you like." I was getting giddy.

My hands rested on her waist touching the soft material of her dress. She said she'll be wearing a grey crepe dress, a little bit opened in the back, no sleeves, knee-length and with a strap belt. My none-existing artistic side did its best to put the dress together in my mind, but I believe it was a failure.

Anyway, my girlfriend was looking gorgeous without a doubt.

"Quick! Where are you parents?" She asked suddenly pulling me out of my fantasy.

"Err.. Mom said she was going to check on snacks a while ago and dad is somewhere around here with the guests. Why?" I recalled from memory of the last time I've talked to them. She was moving a lot in my arms, "What are you doing?" I laughed half confused.