Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

3.

There was a short break of a day or two before missions started up again. The first few were recon and stakeouts, then kidnappings, then information retrieval. It was a while before we got back to missions where I was allowed to use guns again. Before I knew it, a month had passed and I hadn't heard anything about my possible freedom or the Willowwood thing.

I walked with Malcolm to the conference for a debrief as my three teammates were wheeled off for emergency medical attention. They'd been caught in a blast. Their injuries weren't very severe, but they had been hit by enough shrapnel to warrant worry. They were joking amongst each other despite the pain they must've been feeling as they got wheeled off. My hand subconsciously rose to run along the metal band around my neck as we approached the conference room.

Malcolm took his usual place by the front of the room as I took my usual seat. The room felt a bit empty with those three missing. But someone had to give the mission report.

I began easily, telling him all the events in order and going through them step-by-step till the unplanned car bomb at the end.

"We assumed it was placed by an unaffiliated, rival third-party. Or someone from their own organisation." I rubbed my face tiredly. It had been a long mission. "I was already waiting by the jet as it was hovering by my position but those three got caught in the blast. Keelan and Rush got off considerably lightly, but all three were knocked out as they slammed against the wall. The jet lowered harnesses I placed them into before we took off. They only regained consciousness in the middle of the flight."

Malcolm nodded slowly, starting to stand. "That car bomb couldn't have been foreseen the anyone, but it's too big of a coincidence to ignore. We'll see what our sources in that region are saying. Good job tonight. You're off duty till the other are cleared by the doctors to go on further missions."

I nodded. "Thank you, sir. But I wished to talk to you about something."

Malcolm cocked an eyebrow as I said that, sitting back down in his seat. "Well, Private? What is it?"

"Uh, I wanted to ask if there is a possible timeframe to my release."

"I see. Getting impatient?"

"Going a bit stircrazy, in fact." I gave him a sheepish smile. "I'm excited to see my parents after so long."

Malcolm barked out a short laugh. "You're truly still a child. I actually brought up the same issue with my higher-ups quite recently and apparently, your paperwork is being fast-tracked through the system. You should be out by roughly the end of the month."

I felt anticipation grow in me, sitting up eagerly. "This month?! Really?"

"Yes. Or so I've been told."

My hand rose to punch through the air as my wings flapped in excitement. I was going to be free. But I still had something else to ask. "Another thing, Commander." I piped up as I forced my happiness down. "What is happening with Willowwood information?"

"Your team is not involved in this. I cannot talk to you about this."

"I get it. But what's going on? You're surveying the place right, at least?"

He was silent for a few moments, searching my face carefully before giving a hesitant nod. "We've been watching the place through a live satellite feed. It's hard to put assets on the ground in a place like that. But so far, your intel seems to be correct. There are Rebel forces in that area. And the day when we storm in there isn't far off, I assure you. The news of our victory will be everywhere."

"Oh, so this isn't a Black Op?"

"No. It will be a big mission with a proper army. We need to show the Rebellion that we don't take kindly to being forced to negotiate with terrorists." He spat to the side in disgust. "We'll show those fuckers that the State can't just be taken for a ride."