Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

5.

{S}

*************

The apartments for the State soldiers were just a couple of blocks away from the station. It used to be located right by it at one point, but it had been shifted due to it presenting a big security risk. If the station got attacked, any soldier inside the building would be compromised as well.

This stretch contained everything someone could require in Section B, mainly because it was the road leading up to Section A. The station was located right on the cusp of it, servicing both the residents of Section A and B while doubling as the local police force as well. Which is why we wore these uniforms, to look like police and not like a part of a secret squad of augmented kids. The only thing separating us from actually looking like the police were a set of special collar tags we wore. It looked a bit like enameled, black equal signs.

It was a bit into the morning. Winter was settling in. I stepped outside and shivered a bit as the cold wind pierced right through the thin uniform.

"Need a jacket?" Keelan offered.

I shook my head, revelling in the feel of the goosebumps spreading across my body. "I'm fine. The apartments are not far from here anyway."

"How does being free feel?" Rush placing his arm around my shoulder, leaning heavily on me as he threw the other one out to gesture to the surroundings. "I bet it feels great."

I chuckled, stepping aside to let today's workers come in. "Not that much, really." I tapped the collar. "I'm not completely free yet."

"Oh, that's nothing. We can still roam around A and B." Keelan started walking down the steps, Rush took his arm back as we followed. "Do you want to have breakfast first or go see your room?"

I shrugged. "I don't mind anything right now. But I'd really rather get changed out of this uniform."

"Apartment, it is."

"Do you really feel nothing?" Rush's words moved my mind back to darker times. When the Peacekeeper was taking me away, and then when Terrence had asked it after I'd killed Rick. "I mean, being free and all."

My mind was tilting at hearing those words again. Considering the memory I'd just been through, a wrong word could send me on another unpleasant trip down memory lane. I forced out a genuine smile as I scrambled for stability. "Not right now. It's still a bit unbelievable, having being let out early and all."

"It's really surprising." Rush nodded, giving me a few moments of reprieve to right myself. I looked down at my feet as he spoke about Malcolm calling him.

Fix it. Fix it. Fix it. Don't slide away. Relax. Relax, and fix it. It's all in the past. It can't hurt you now. Maker can't hurt you now, Bert can't hurt you now. That part of my life is done and over with. I won't have to work for him ever again. I won't have to see hi-

"Terra?" I jumped to the side as Keelan's hand landed on my shoulder. "Are you okay?"

I looked into his grey eyes, smiled and nodded. "I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

"You've seemed off ever since you woke up."

"Yeah." Rush piped up. "We knocked on the door, but you wouldn't answer. And when we entered you were shaking, and talking in your sleep."

I stiffened slightly. "What... What did I say?"

The two exchanged a glance before Rush spoke. His delivery was slow, he knew he was treading on sensitive ground. "You were... begging someone about something you couldn't do anymore."