twelve things

The hallway after school is so quiet compared to the chaos of the school day. It's almost like a different world. I think I would like school better if it were like this more often. The people are the ones who want to be here. They have a reason, whether it's for band practice or Spanish club or whatever.

They have a thing they like.

They're not being forced.

My conversation with Mrs. Edwards is bouncing around my brain when a voice startles me.

"Joining the newspaper?"

"Huh?"

I swivel around to see Rose leaning against a locker. Her dark hair is pulled back into a loose bun held together with a pencil. She's carrying a notebook and her plaid pencil case.

"Oh, hey. No, I'm not joining the newspaper. Actually..." I drop my voice a few octaves, not wanting Mrs. Edwards to realize that Rose offered to let me cheat off her. "Mrs. Edwards saw that my answers were basically the same as yours—"

"You didn't tell Mrs. Edwards I let you cheat off me, did you?" Rose whispers loudly, shooting a nervous glance toward Mrs. Edwards's open door.

"No," I reply, horrified. "I took the blame. Don't worry about it."

Rose's face seems to relax a bit. "So, what... did you get detention or something?"

I shrug. "Not really. She let me retake the test. I think I did okay."

Rose shuffles her books. "Well, that's good. Guess I'd better get..."

I interrupt her, my curiosity getting the best of me. It's something I've been wondering off and on all day. I take a step toward her, my voice low. "Rose. Why did you let me do that?"

She takes a moment to answer. After fiddling with the zipper on her pencil case for a few moments, she looks up, straight into my eyes. "It's just... I guess I've been there before, you know? Spaced on a test. It sucks."

There's something about her response that seems so genuine. Maybe it's the way she's looking at me, unblinkingly, with those big blue eyes. I feel like I have a pretty good idea when someone's lying to me, and I just don't get that vibe from her. I swallow and think maybe I misjudged Rose, these past few years of assuming that she was stuck up just because she wears preppy clothes and aces all her classes. Maybe, deep down, she's kind of like me and gets stressed out about stuff sometimes.

"Well, thanks," I say awkwardly. "Hey, you know how you wanted that interview with the Sea Monkeys? Why don't you come to our show tonight at House of Rock, and we can talk to you during the break or something?"

Rose's brow creases. "But I thought Jared didn't want to do an interview."

I dismiss her concern with a wave of my hand. "Don't worry about him. He's just dumb sometimes. I'll talk him into it."

"Well... that would be... very cool of you."

I flash a smile. "The show's at eight. See you there?"

Rose nods, returning the smile. "Yeah. See you."

A group of kids turns the corner then, and they all head into Mrs. Edwards's room. Rose follows them in, leaving me alone in the hallway. But it's not a bad alone. I'm actually feeling really good. It's nice to be able to do something for someone, especially when they tried to do something for you.

As I get my backpack and walk toward the school exit, the corners of my lips turn up. It's just a little smile, a whisper of one, but it's there.