forty-eight things

As Abbott drives back toward the school, I realize that Grams was going to pick me up at 3:30 for my doctor appointment.

I glance at the clock.

It is 3:17.

"Crap," I say.

"What?" Abbott asks, glancing over at me.

"I have a doctor's appointment. Grams is picking me up. If she sees me riding with you, she'll figure out that I skipped."

Abbott cocks his head thoughtfully to the side. "Why don't I drop you off at the side door?"

I stare at him. "I thought you'd object to me lying to my grandmother."

He snickers, straightening his glasses. "Just because I care about what's best for you doesn't mean I'm some saint. In fact, I'll tell the secretary you weren't feeling well and that's why you missed your afternoon classes."

I raise my eyebrow. "Wow. So rebellious. You're really turning me on right now."

Abbott shifts in his seat. "As much as I'd like to take back my chivalrous actions and take you back to that cabin right now, I think you'd better get going." He pulls around the back of the school and puts the car into park, nodding at the clock. "It's almost 3:30."

"'Okay," I tell him.

After undoing my seatbelt, I turn to open the passenger door, but Abbott puts his hand on my leg. I turn toward him, and his lips are on mine. By the time he's finished, I am trembling.

"What was that for?" I ask.

He shrugs. "Just because."

I grab my bag and climb out of the truck, knees shaking. "See you later," I say.

"You better," he says teasingly.

I push the door shut and walk toward the back entrance of the school, a stupid, silly grin breaking out across my face. It is the smile of a simple girl, one who likes a boy, one who is living life moment by moment, carefree, unafraid.

I'm not quite sure who this girl is, to be honest.

But I think I like her.