forty-five things

I use the five-dollar bill Grams gave me for lunch to buy a bottle of Sprite. My stomach is still doing somersaults, and I just want something soothing. Riley, Jared, and Abbott are already seated in our usual spot when I come over.

"How did your meeting with Feldmann go?" Riley asks.

I twist open the cap of my juice. "Excruciatingly."

"Sounds productive," Riley replies, nodding.

"Yeah, I mean, it's not supposed to be pleasant, right?" Jared asks. "It's not like you're gonna be eating rocky road ice cream and discussing Bob's Burgers."

Abbott doesn't say anything, just focuses on his slice of pepperoni pizza. I remember how short I was with him in English class and feel a pang of regret. He's never been anything but nice to me, especially coming to visit me last night. I am such a terrible person.

"Speaking of ice cream," Riley says, looking at me meaningfully. "My dad wants to take me to Coldstone after school."

"Ugh." I take a swig of my pop.

"I thought we were practicing tonight," says Jared.

Riley shoots him a death stare.

"Uh," he says, glancing at me. "I mean, just jamming a little, you know? Wanna come?" He quickly busies himself with his bag of Cheetohs.

My face wants to crumple, but I iron it out, erase any evidence of the pain caused by the idea of the Sea Monkeys practicing without me. "Um, I've got a doctor appointment after school, but maybe I could stop by later."

Jared looks relieved. "Yeah, that would be good." He turns to Riley. "You should just come over after the ice cream thing. We'll make it a late practice."

She shrugs. "Sounds good."

I look at Abbott, who is watching me, chewing silently.

"Sounds good," I repeat softly, although the idea of sitting on the couch with my mangled hand, watching them play music without me is pretty much my idea of hell on earth.