Chapter two~

I open my eyes, feeling as if there are weights on them as I do so. Where am I? There's a beeping, I'm attached to a heart monitor. What happened? My brain feels foggy, but memories are resurfacing. The accident, my head, my back. Oh God. I can't move my legs.

Some part of my mind knows that I shouldn't panic, but the monitor is being faster and faster and I'm gasping. What about my dance? What about my career? I notice a doctor rushing towards me.

"Miss, calm down. What's your name?" His voice is calm but there's an edge to it, and it makes me want to answer.

"Victoria, Victoria Kendal." I blurt out, still breathing fast. The heart monitor still hasn't slowed.

"Calm down." The doctor commands. "You're going to be fine. We need to talk."

I can't. I must look wild, I can feel grit from the road on my skin. But not my legs, I can't feel anything in my legs. There's another person in the room, a tall boy, and he looks as calm as the doctor.

"Music." I gasp out. I don't care if I'll never dance again, it's what I need.

The boy mumbles something to the doctor and walks out of the room. He's back very quickly and plugs a CD player into the plug in the wall.

To my surprise, the voice of Christina Perri echoes throughout the room and two more people come through the doors. It's my song, 'A thousand years' I'm already recalling the starting positions of my solo.

I close my eyes. In my head I'm dancing out my heart. I'm free, I'm jumping in the studio, twirling, hitting every move perfectly. It's dark in there, the glowing lights at floor level casting shadows, just like when I filmed it for what I now realise was probably the last time ever.

But I'm not in a studio, I'm in a hospital, and I need to face the problem at hand. I open my eyes, but in my head I'm performing the fouettés. I push the dance away, and look at the monitor. My heart rate has slowed.

The blond doctor I was talking to before speaks. "Miss Kendal, we have just located your medical records. During the accident you fractured your spine and damaged some of the nerves inside. Fortunately, a surgery exists where we go through your abdomen and screw a small metal brace to your spine. You should make a full recovery, but you will be in hospital for a least two weeks and have muscle rehabilitation for six months. It will not be easy, but you will walk again." He looks generally concerned for my well being.

"What about my dance? My medical training?" I ask, panicked. I'll be so behind, what will I do?

"You will be in a hospital after all. You can train here in Forks when you're up to it, but I would advise you to make arrangements to stay here, as you will not be able to drive once released and it will be easier to be close. Your mother is on her way, but for now we need to take you to surgery."

My mother. She's coming. She'll look after me. Things might work out after all, and I know I'll do whatever it takes to dance again.

I'm on a surgery table, the doctor is placing an oxygen mask over my face. I look up into his eyes. They're like honey, golden and melting. I can't look away. I feel strange, something fluttery inside. My eyelids are drooping, but I don't think it's the anaesthesia causing the weird feeling in my stomach. The world fades to blackness.

————————————————

I wake up. I'm alone. Everything hurts, my head, my back. I don't want to move. But I have to. I have to know. I'm not stupid, spinal surgeries are hard, they don't always succeed. I focus all my effort on moving my toes, I think it works. The honey eyed doctor comes through the doors.