Chapter six~

My eyes snap open. It can tell it's pretty early in the morning because of the sunrise filtering through the skylight. However, it's coming up to Christmas so the sunrise is around eight. I never usually wake up this early on my own, but as soon as my eyes snapped open I knew the reason that I woke up at this time today. Cramps rip through my lower abdomen area and the back of my pyjama bottoms feel wet. This month's menstrual cycle has started. I lift up the covers to find that I have stained the sheets red. This is going to be an embarrassing morning. Today I am supposed to be partially free again. I get to leave the hospital whenever Mum arrives to pick me up. Sadly, I'm not allowed to drive and get tired very quickly while walking so I have to be in a wheelchair. However, with this kind of start to the morning, maybe there are bad omens for the upcoming day.

I'm reaching across to press the button on the wall that calls for assistance when the doors to my room swing open. This may be the one time when I do not want to see the blond doctor in front of me. I snatch my hand away from the call button, lean back on my pillows and try to look relaxed. However, I can feel the heat in my cheeks and I'm certain he'll notice it too.

"Morning Ria." He says. "I'm surprised to see you awake this early, it's not like you."

"Hello Doctor Cullen." My voice is tight and he frowns.

"Is something wrong? You look very red, do you have a fever?" He asks, concerned.

"I- no. Well, the thing is..." I stumble over my words.

"Yes?" He says persistently.

For goodness sake, he's studied medicine, I've studied medicine, so why can't I get the stupid words out? I don't want to bother a nurse when my doctor is standing right in front of me with time meant to check up on me.

"My menstrual cycle has started and the sheets kind of need changing." I say with my voice very small, but luckily he hears it all.

I swear the corners of his mouth twitch, and if he laughs I'm pretty sure I'll shout at him. I hate being embarrassed.

"There's a store of female products down the hall. Is there any you'd particularly like me to get?" He says kindly, the humour in his eyes very well hidden now.

"Just some pads will be fine... oh and some painkillers, ibuprofen is good. Thanks."

I'm fairly sure my face is flaming now, but what other choice did I have. Look on the bright side, at least my periods haven't been damaged. However, I swear the cramping has never been this bad before. I shrug it off. Maybe I'm just getting used to pain again after they took me off of the drip last night.

Doctor Cullen returns with some pads, painkillers and a glass of water. I eye the stretch of floor between my bed and the bathroom door, I'm not really supposed to be walking but I don't want to stain a wheelchair either. Doctor Cullen solves the problem for me. I squeak when he pulls back the covers so that the red stains are visible and picks me up bridal style. Oh My God, this is so embarrassing. I squeeze my legs together tightly as he carries me, praying that no blood will get on the floor. He deposits me on the toilet seat and hands me the pads. I'm fairly sure I look like a tomato.

"Ria, it's not that big of a deal, you're a woman and it's natural. I'll bring a wheelchair and some spare pyjama pants while you sort yourself out. None of the other rooms are free so you can do some studying in my office until your mother arrives." He smiles.

"Thanks Doctor Cullen." I smile, still blushing.

"You should call me Carlisle, we're friends now, right?"

I nod. Friends. Much better to be helped with period problems by your friend than your startlingly attractive doctor.

————————————————

I sit in Carlisle's office, reading an interesting book about blood transfusions on animals and humans. His office feels comfy, it's the kind of office I would like to have some day. He has a lot of art on his walls, some of it a little strange, but his huge desk feels strangely bare. There's one photo frame of what I assume is his entire family and that's all. Renesmee looks about five so I'd say that this photo was taken a few years ago. Everyone is smiling and Carlisle seems to be the only one not in love. There's a tanned boy with cropped hair kneeling next to Renesmee with his muscled arm around her small frame. There's so much love in his eyes however, that I'm more worried that he'll be hurt by her parents more than she'll be hurt by him.

Carlisle enters his office. It's strange how I've gotten used to calling him by his first name in just a few hours. It's a name that I feel would fit only him- the kind, attractive doctor.

"Your mother is in the reception." Carlisle smiles. "You can go home."

Home, I don't even know where that is anymore but that doesn't mean I'm not excited to go there.

"Thank you." I say to Carlisle. I mean every letter.

"This isn't goodbye, you know, you have an appointment with me at eleven o'clock tomorrow, but you're welcome." He smiles.

And with that I roll out of the door and into my mother's care.

When we're safely in the car, my phone starts ringing. I pick up, and instantly feel guilty when the voice of my friend. Tory starts frantically questioning how I am.

"Hey Tory." I can't help the smile that spreads across my face from talking to her.

"Oh my gosh, Ria, how are you? Are you okay? It's been weeks since we've talked and your mother said you'd been in a car accident. Tell me you're okay." Her voice is dripping with concern.

"I'm... fine, don't worry. I injured my back but I got out of the hospital today. Anyways, how's your tour going?" Tory is a professional dancer and is touring in a ballet company all over Europe.

"Well, that's actually one of the reasons I called. The Europe tour is over, but the manager came into a large sum of money and we're going to be touring North America. We get a 3 day stop in Seattle just after the New Year, so I was wondering if we could hang out?"

"Yes! That would be amazing, where can I buy tickets?"

"You don't need to, silly. I get some for family and friends, is there anyone you want to bring?"

I think. I should probably bring my mother, she'd like it. Maybe Edward would like to bring Bella, I could give them tickets for Christmas.

"I have a few people in mind. I have to go now though, we're pulling in."

"Oh, alright then. Take care Ria, and phone Kelsey!" I press the button to hand up, smiling slightly. My friends are great. The best. I don't know where I'd be without them.

"Well here we are." Mum yanks me out of my thoughts. The house is small and a beige colour. A wooden porch adds to its character and I thank fate that there's only one step. That'll be a challenge for my wheelchair in itself.

When inside I thank my mother and find the room that seems to be mine. Everything that was saved from my suitcases is here, but it still seems bare. I maneuver myself onto the bed and stare up at the ceiling. Who knows what the future will bring, but I'm alive and kicking, and I have my cause. I'm going to be the best doctor that the world's ever seen... though right now it seems like Carlisle is at the top of the list. 

I mean that in so many ways.