Chapter 8

 Wayne Tower - Gotham City

The tower was a wonder of steel and glass. At over 1,000 feet tall, it was the second tallest building in the city, and was one of the tallest in the country. A giant neon white 'W' of Wayne Enterprises lit up the night sky, the shape resembling a Bat-Signal. The structure's name was in smaller letters below the W, and twin observation decks shot out diagonally from either side.

A black helicopter hovered just above a deck, and two figures dropped out, each laden with gear. The chopper moved over to the other deck and landed. The engine cut off, and the rotor blades slowed.

On the left observation deck, Grodd held the black box with the Oscillator. He attached a long cable to one side of the box, and held out the flat, bulky end of the long cable to Owlman. He took it from Grodd, eyes narrowed.

"At this height, combined with the electric current of that wretched logo, the Oscillator's powered up state from that lab, and the genius of my device to bring it all together..." Grodd proclaimed grandly.

Owlman scowled at him in irritation. Grodd's mouth tightened to a line and he gestured absently.

"Just attach the cable to the W," he said flatly to Owlman.

"I won't bother arguing with you about leadership," Owlman said in a clipped tone. "Our shared goal is too important, and time's short."

Grodd eyed the man slyly. "Yes, our goal. Wise...for a human," he noted.

The gorilla hunched over the keypad that jutted out from a side of black box, focused on pressing the keys with his massive fingers. Owlman, holding the cable, walked to the edge of the railing, hopped over it, and landed on top of the logo, ready to slap the magnetic end to the steel below his feet.

A blast of laser struck the end of it with a high-pitched zapping sound, knocking it from his grasp. The cable end clattered to his feet, not yet attached flush to the surface. Clover cut off her Lipstick beam, then flew higher and aimed towards Grodd's device as she neared the observation deck. Sam and Alex were right behind her. The ape countered with blasts from his own boxy white laser blaster.