Chapter 9

"Gorilla... Earth," Sam parroted, wearing an exasperated look, mirrored by Clover.

Owlman clenched his fists and turned his head slightly towards the ape, still focused on Batman.

"That wasn't the deal!"

"No matter! Gorillas are supreme!"

Grodd let loose a primal cry of triumph as he beat his chest, fists raised skyward.

Then the white light dimmed and the humming stopped.

Standing atop the W, Alex held her Laser Lipstick with a relieved smile. The severed cable lay at her feet. She shot her Bungee Belt up to the railing above and retracted it to pull herself up to the others.

"Someone call for an electrician?" she quipped.

Sam and Clover cheered, and Batman spared a smile.

"Fool!" Grodd yelled at Bowman, whose head jerked to look at the ape. "What have you been doing while she did that?"

Still holding his split bow in half, Bowman said, "Hey, gimme a break. I'm evil, but even I'm not going to shoot a girl with her back turned. Even if I could." He dropped the two halves of his bow and raised his palms in supplication. "Also, not on board for an apes-only world."

Alex walked over to him warily, holding a pair of WOOHP handcuffs she'd pulled from her backpack. He smirked, eyebrow arched, and she snapped the cuffs over his outstretched wrists. She gave him a surprised look.

"Surrendering? That doesn't happen often," Alex said warily. Her eyes widened abruptly. "Whoa!"

A lower intensity of white energy formed out of the top of the Phase Oscillator, bathing those gathered around it in its light.

"It must have had enough of a charge. We need to shut it down now!" Batman yelled.

He threw a few spherical concussion grenades at Owlman and Grodd. But the gorilla pulled the Oscillator and its custom base away protectively, and Owlman dodged expertly. Sam drew a purple tube from her backpack, and pointed it at the villains.