Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Guy hung up the phone. Another grilling from Mr. Mendoza. Another order to tone down the coverage of the three teens' deaths in Wednesday's edition of The Register. Today, he truly felt like nothing more than a managing editor. No real decisions to make, just ensure people did what they were told.

It also explained why he was getting so agitated with Cal. With his assignment changed to a simple management position, Guy's star reporter was gone and not returning his calls. Guy couldn't even do the one thing he was being asked to do that day.

Three calls were made to Cal throughout the early afternoon. And three calls went straight to voicemail.

Guy had been tough on Cal before, but he always responded in a positive way. This time though, it wasn't elderly wisdom being passed down by Guy. It was a direct command, complete with all of Guy's redirected anger that went against every journalistic instinct Cal had ever cultivated. Stop working on a story that could expose a deep level of corruption? Cal had questioned after being told to stand down. And Guy knew it was a tough directive to follow. After all, stories like these were what journalists dreamed about at night while climbing into bed after eating a TV dinner all alone. At least, it was what Guy used to dream about.

Guy knew Cal would never stop pursuing this story. Something in the seasoned newspaperman's gut told him that Cal wasn't just concocting a cockamamie conspiracy theory. He only hoped Cal's pursuit of the truth wouldn't end in his death.