Chapter 65

Chapter 65

Cal didn't take Mercer for an opportunistic FBI agent, the kind who would abuse his power for a cut of a hefty payday. But neither did he think Buddy Walker was even an FBI agent. But the biggest shock thus far came when he learned that Mayor Gold was actually one Carmen Deangelo, a top captain from the Scarelli mob family who had disappeared years ago. Before talking with directors at the FBI field office in Salt Lake City, Cal had no idea who the Scarellis were - but they sounded tough. Then one director shared just how ruthless Gold was before he left Boston.

While waiting at the FBI offices for Mercer, Cal had learned from an FBI agent that Mercer and Walker were both being investigated for being a mole. Walker's secret was buried with him, but Mercer might still prove to be the man the FBI was searching for. But mole or no mole, Cal was convinced the primary reason the FBI would be so willing to help a reporter was because they wanted to downplay the fact that one of their agents was directly responsible for the deaths of three high school student-athletes in their prime. They wanted to control the story and spin it their way. Cal wasn't going to play that game, but in the moment, he considered it best to gather all the evidence possible and make judgment calls later on which promises to keep.

In his briefing prior to Mercer's arrival, Cal and Kelly's FBI liaison made it clear that surviving Gold in a situation where he may turn desperate wasn't a guarantee. There were risks involved, serious risks. But Kelly didn't mind. She let it be known just how determined she was to see Gold brought in that Cal never had a chance to even ponder backing out. The FBI was willing to put its full resources into protecting them. It was an opportunity the FBI couldn't pass up, snuffing out a mobster on the FBI's most wanted list and taking down a large drug ring in one shot. They might even catch a mole, too. 

For this particular Salt Lake City field office, Cal's scenario represented a gift worthy of being wrapped under the tree at Christmastime by Saint Nick himself. All that remained was for Cal and Kelly to slip down the chimney with ease.

***

Cal and Kelly reluctantly got out of the car. Mercer was shoving them around. Cal and Kelly did their best to feign shock and surprise at the double-cross. They played off the part that was genuine, the part they thought would never happen. Plan B was in full force.

Gold got out of his car and walked slowly toward the reporters, whose backs were a safe 15 yards away from the cliff's edge. With outstretched arms and a mischievous grin across his face, Gold appeared to be enjoying the moment. Two reporters who were trying to ruin his life were in handcuffs.

"At last, the two burrs in my saddle are here with me - and I get to crush them myself."

Cal knew he didn't have much time, so he began following the script.

"Burrs in your saddle?" Cal asked. "What are you talking about? I was just trying to figure out what killed your son. I didn't realize I would become such a burr in your saddle for doing my job."

"All reporters are scum. Your job represents about the most debased profession in our society. Reporters are always burrs in my saddle when they go poking their noses where they shouldn't."

"I'm happily guilty then."

"And so am I," Kelly chimed in as her nostrils flared. She was anxious to engage the real scum.

"Oh, a feisty one," Gold said, looking at Kelly. "I always did like you, Kelly. Such a mouth, though. I wonder how well you'll hold your tongue as you fall to the bottom of the canyon."

Gold moved closer toward his intended targets. He reached Cal and grabbed him by his upper arm. Then he looked at Kelly.

"Want to see a man fly?" Gold asked.