Chapter 40

Chapter 40

On the short ride to Walker's house, Cal kept running through all the scenarios of why a government agency might be interested in keeping word of this drug operation from getting out. Was the government mounting a case against the company? Were there other people involved that he didn't know about? How many people did know about this operation? Why go all cloak and dagger on him?

He knew that Sheriff Jones and some of his deputies were at the very least on the take. So, there were some people who seemed highly interested in making sure this information never saw wet ink on printing press. Just how far did this cover up go? Cal's mind seemed to be stuck in a perpetual eight-figure, unable to advance any ideas in a meaningful way. His head began to hurt trying to hash out all the possibilities.

At the moment, all he knew was that he was thankful for Walker's fortuitous timing. Without his intervention, who knows if he and Kelly would've ever made it out of Cloverdale Industries alive. He didn't want to think about the grim possible outcomes.

Ten minutes had passed since they left Cloverdale. Cal thought Walker obviously lived much farther away than he claimed to live.

Just then, the car came slowed to a stop and Cal heard what sounded like a large door opening, but it didn't seem like any garage door he had ever heard. What is going on?

"We're heeere!" Walker said in a cheery sing-song voice.

***

Guy sat down at his desk and exhaled, rubbing his temples. "Forget it," he muttered to himself. With the press check still 45 minutes away, Guy felt uneasy about leaving Cal and Kelly unexposed for so long. Besides, no one would suspect him. He could aid and abet Cal all he wanted. Who would be the wiser?

"Sammy, get in my office," Guy bellowed.

Sammy hung up on his call and scurried from the break room into Guy's office.

"What is it, boss?"

"Sammy, I think it's about time you take on some more responsibility. Tonight, I'm putting you in charge of press check. You just reread all the headlines and stories once the first few papers come off the press and make sure Terry didn't screw up any headlines or sneak some filthy double entendre in there. You think you can handle that?"

"Sure."

"All right. Great. I'm out of here. You're in charge, Sammy. Have fun."

"Where you going, boss? Got a hot date?"

Guy shot Sammy a disgusted look.

"Don't worry about my love life. You worry about making sure the paper comes out right. Got it?"

Guy didn't wait for a response. He kept walking toward the back door without looking back.