18. Ring Twice

The door is emerald green but it was painted a long time ago. The green is peeling and in some areas has chipped off completely. The centre of the door is of frosted glass, which I’m surprised at. Most people have a solid front door. I can see a curtain and it is tied in the middle, I haven’t seen anything like it since my grandmother passed. I pause and smile. Then, lifting my hand I ring the doorbell.

A tinkling echoes through the house and I think I see someone beyond the curtain, it is just a shadow that moves, but I know that there is someone there.

I ring again and cup a hand to the window. There is definitely a shadow.

“Go away,” a voice calls quietly from inside.

“I only want to ask some questions,” I say.

“Go away,” the voice repeats. It is high and has a slight shake. I think whoever is on the other side of the door is very old.

“Please open the door?” I ask, trying to sound non-threatening.

“Who are you?”

“My name is Bitsy and I was at Heathrow. We don’t know what is going on.”

“Heathrow!” The woman screeches and I see the shadow move further away.

“What’s wrong?” I ask.

“Leave. Please, just go.”

“What is wrong with Heathrow?”

“That’s how it came here. From Italy.”

My blood runs ice cold in my veins. “Italy?”

“Yes,” she says. “If you catch it you are gone in minutes.”

“Gone?” It has to be some sort of virus.

“Go away!” The voice calls and then the shadow darts further into the house and is gone. I think about yelling again, but if the situation was reversed I wouldn’t open the door.

I turn and walk back to the guys.

“Well?” Max says.

“She is too scared to open the door, especially once she found out that we were from Heathrow.”

“Why?” Colin asks.

“Some sort of virus has done this.” I gesture to the quiet street.

“What kind of virus?” Max asks.

I shrug. “She just said that once you get it then you are gone in minutes.”

“Gone?”

“That’s what she said.”