26. The Nurse

“You aren’t hurt?” the nurse asks again.

Max shakes his head. “No.”

She turns her attention to me. “What about you?” she nods to my arm.

“Just bruised,” I say.

“The creature used its claws?”

I shake my head. “It never touched me. He did.” I look at Colin.

Colin is wrapping the sleeve of his shirt around the wound. “Did the creature do that?” the nurse asks.

Colin nods and the nurse turn fully toward him. It isn’t a friendly stance though, instead she appears aggressive.

“What’s your name?” she asks.

I introduce us.

“I’m Dee,” she says with a faint smile. “Bitsy, why don’t you move over here toward me.”

I frown but do as I’m told. I don’t like having the open door behind me. I stand next to Dee and turn to Colin, whom Dee hasn’t looked away from.

“Who hurt you?” she asks, but I think she already knows.

Colin looks at her. “Aren’t you going to help me?” he asks.

“What hurt you?”

Colin ties off his make-shift bandage. “That thing did.”

Dee smiles but it is a sad grin that shows no humour. “I’m sorry.”

Colin looks up, frowning.

We all stare at her. Dee looks at each of us in turn but the spear is pointed at Colin the whole time.

“We have to kill him,” she says.

“What?” Colin murmurs, struggling to rise.

Dee immediately centres the spear squarely onto his chest and Colin freezes.

“Why?” Max says, though he doesn’t move to stop her. But then neither do I.

“He’s been hurt by one. Was it a bite or the claws?”

“Claws,” Colin says, but his voice is slow and slurred.

Dee brings the spear up a little. “Then I suppose you have a chance. Come on. We need to move.” With that she walks away, down a dark corridor. Max starts toward Colin to help.

“I wouldn’t,” Dee says. “If he turns you don’t want to be holding him.”

“Turns?” I ask.

She gives a mirthless chuckle. “Come on.”

Slowly we follow, Colin behind us, weaving as if drunk.