33. Doors and darkness

She looks at me, shocked, as if I am doing something stupid. I probably am but it has got to be done. I don’t think she or Max have realised just how dangerous our position is. But I have to know what is happening and if the WHO is still there.

Dee points at an outside door. It looks more like a window but I can see a handle. “Are you sure?” she asks, some of her bluster gone.

“Yes.” I start toward it and then stop. “If I’m not back in a couple of hours lock yourselves away.”

“Why?” Max asks. I notice that he is now standing and trying to leave the table, but Dee has a hold on his arm.

“The glass,” I say.                                             

“What about it?”

I sigh. “How many were in the car park? How many are hiding in houses? They are all going to wake up and come here and then how long do you think the glass will hold?”

Dee glances at the wall of glass and her eyes widen.

“We are lucky,” I say. “The night won’t draw in till quite late, but the sun will go down.” With that I walk to the door and open it. There is a slight resistance as the metal frame sticks and then it springs open with a screech. Air flows past me bringing the smell of fires and grass. It could be a day of barbequing but I know what it means and I try not to think about it. Still, in my head I picture the thick oily smoke that crawled around us as we escaped the airport. I pause and then close the door behind me, wincing at the shriek.

Inside I can see that Max and Dee are arguing. From the way Max is throwing his arms around he wants to join me, but Dee is trying to stop him. I see something in her hand and I bang on the glass to warn him, but my warning makes him turn and look. It is all Dee needs. She jabs at him with an injection. He looks down in horror and then staggers. Carefully Dee guides him into the chair, putting his head onto his forearms. It looks like he is sleeping. She then walks to the window.

She shouts. “I’ve drugged him. You have one hour. After that he’ll wake.”

I nod and turn to go. I wonder if she will hurt him, but then Max is possibly the key to all of this. I understand what Dee has done but I don’t trust her. A small voice inside suggests that I don’t trust Max either, but I silence it. What about Colin? It suggests before disappearing. I don’t know. Do I stay?

Behind the glass Dee is making shooing motions and I realise that she may want me to leave and not return. After all, any one with Max is the saviour. He is more important than gold. I hope that she isn’t thinking like that but I realise that she might. But do I have a choice?

Shaking, I turn and look out over the hospital. What I need is the administration building. Offices…

I set off at a jog, looking left and right. I’m not worried about the creatures as the sun is shining. I wish I’d had the foresight to get a weapon. A grey block building looms and I turn toward it. The outside is drab and the entrance isn’t coloured. This is the closest one I’ve seen that looks like an office block.

The shadow from the building casts a pall across the ground and I stop before it. It reminds me of the childhood game not to tread on the cracks. Taking a deep breath I step forward into the gloom.