10. Unexpected Resolution

Savory smells of freshly roasted pork and buttery rolls drifted down the hall into the room where Johnstone was helping Lucien dress. He took a brush to Lucien's beige short-coat and made sure the burgundy doublet beneath was properly buttoned. He fussed with the silk cravat until Lucien finally shrugged him off with an impatient wave of his hand. Lucien paced back and forth, his hands clasped behind his back and his eyes cast to the floor.

"What's troubling you?" Johnstone stood steadfast, watching the agitated young man.

"Nothing's troubling me!" Lucien snapped and immediately regretted his callous tone. "I'm sorry, I'm just so irritated with this whole dinner business." He stopped pacing and faced Johnstone. "The second he found out Ysabeau wasn't coming for social visits he started up all these dinners and matchmaking again. I know he's still hoping if I'm enticed by a lovely maiden I'll change my mind and stay to join his business. It won't work. He can parade wealthy business men and their eligible daughters all day long and it won't change a thing."

Johnstone, seeming unfazed by Lucien's tirade, gave his attire one more curt glance. "I believe they're waiting on you."

Lucien nodded curtly and strode in long, even strides out the door and down the hall toward the dining room. The sooner they ate, the sooner it'd be over. The truth was he'd been preoccupied all day about a little island he wished to sail to. News of an outbreak of fever had reached him but his father had no ships lying in harbor to take. Not that he thought he'd let him anyway. It'd be a few short weeks until the new ship was finished, but that seemed like a long time to Lucien.

The table glittered with fine crystal and china, but those who would be seated at it stood behind their chairs.

"Ah, here he his!" his father exclaimed. "Everyone please be seated."

"So sorry to keep everyone waiting." Lucien flashed a wide smile at a young lady in a verdant gown as he pulled out her chair for her. He sent a look to Johnstone, standing stoically by the door, which said 'I told you so'. The girl tittered as she met Lucien's eye when he seated himself at the foot of the table.

"Allow me to introduce Lord Ashley and his lovely daughter, Lady Elizabeth," Mr. Bellemare said.

Lucien had seen them before on the island. His father continued around the table. Lucien nodded politely to each of the guests, all vaguely familiar. Thankfully, the ladies seemed to be married except for Lady Elizabeth. Finally the introductions came to an end with his father introducing the two men on either side of him. Lucien hadn't seen either before. The man on the left-hand side was Hortence Masterson, from London. And, not surprisingly, the guest on the right-hand was a governor. He couldn't have been one of much prestige, judging by the worn look of his clothing, so Lucien wasn't surprised to hear it was of the Bahamas, a newer settlement to the Caribbean. Many of its people emigrated from Bermuda. The man's name was John Wentworth. Lucien was eager to ask how the settlement was doing.

Lucien greeted them each appropriately.

The first course, clam soup, was served and the conversation was lively. Lady Elizabeth kept up conversation about trivial matters, almost entirely by herself, solidly into the third course of suckling-pig. Lucien hoped he was giving appropriate responses, for it all sounded like drivel to him. He tried at one point to catch the conversation between his father and the men on either side of him but, when he heard a snippet from Mr. Masterson bemoaning the late arrival of his daughter to the island, which was quickly followed by a calculating glance Lucien's way, he hastily reverted his attention back to the lady next to him, who was likewise staring at him as if he were part of the succulent menu. For the most part, dinner passed in a blur.