16. Fulfillment

That first step off the boat brought tingles of anticipation to Lucien. The plans he'd dreamed so long ago were finally coming to fruition. With an undeniable spring in his step, he moved across the ship to look at the cluster of buildings making up the homes and businesses of the Bahamas.

He'd gratefully leapt over the rail as soon as they'd anchored, leaving the buttoning up of the ship to Captain Dewberry. He expected to have the whole day free for doctoring.

Fishermen were bringing in the catch of the day and he waved and shouted a halloo. They waved back and his smile grew, his spirit buoyed.

The shacks hugged the shoreline of the harbor and numbered only four dozen or so. The small homes were built of wood, with palmetto leaves used to make their thatched roofs. A few settlers had come to build plantations but most on the island were comprised of men of the sea. It hadn't been settled for more than ten or fifteen years. Lucien's heart grew warm at the opportunity to minister to this community.

A man wearing only a wide brimmed hat and dun knee breeches padded up the dock waving an arm. Lucien recognized him.

"HENRY!" Lucien shouted across the way. Good to see you, man! How are things?" Lucien asked in a more normal tone as the man closed. He grasped his hand and was rewarded with an energetic handshake.

"Doctor, I was beginning to doubt ya was comin'! When Wentworth told us to expect ya I told 'um all how I knew ya from Bermuda! Then it was so long for your comin' everyone's been givin' me a 'ard time of it. I'd be good to show 'em you're no myth of the deep!" He nodded vigorously as he continued to pump Lucien's hand in time, grinning with half his teeth missing and the remaining broken and discolored.

The man's face was weathered from time and the sea, his hair thin and dirty. However, no one who ever looked into his faded blue eyes, sparkling wildly with warmth and life could resist returning his smile. He'd emigrated from the overcrowded shores of Bermuda to try to make a better way for his family on the sparsely-inhabited island. Lucien knew him from his boyhood, when they'd gone occasionally for a day of fishing.

"I'd be happy to oblige. Who's in need of my services?" Lucien extracted his hand but gave the man a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder.

"A course, Doctor, forgive me fer keepin' ya from yer work. Some seamen down that aways be 'aving terrible burns from the sun," he pointed toward the west, "and a good friend o' mine up yonder got 'imself a 'orrible splinter!"

Lucien's elation depleted a little. Sunburns and splinters were hardly the type of ministering he'd been expecting. But he quickly checked himself, feeling the appropriate twinge of guilt for being disappointed no one was gravely ill.

Johnstone disembarked from the latest longboat. Lucien turned to him. "Secure us a room on the island for the night; I, for one, will be glad of a bed that doesn't move for a change!"

Johnstone nodded. "Me as well. Will you require my help today?"

"If I come across anything I can't handle on my own I'll send word. Otherwise I'll meet you for the evening meal wherever you find lodging."

"A widder' near the outskirts takes in wayfarers for reasonable coin. White be the name," Henry offered, gesturing toward the southern end of the settlement.

Johnstone took note of the direction and nodded with thanks as he took his leave. Lucien took his lead from Henry and followed him west to his first prospective patient.

The morning passed unremarkably as Lucien cared for the needs of the people. It appeared Henry wasn't mistaken in that no one was currently in desperate need of a physician. As the sun passed its zenith, Henry took the doctor to his home to meet his family. Parts of the dirt pathways that served as roads were worn to the native bedrock, especially near the old timer's small hut.