20. Treasure

"My good Quartermaster, have you the shares divided?"

"That I do, good Captain!" Sam teased back. "We've only to add the price for the cargo. And what'll you be doing with your riches?"

"We'll stop at our cove, refill the water and do a little hunting." She dropped her voice, "I'm going to leave a good chunk of my gold there."

"Why? I plan to live it up! It's not like we won't be getting more!"

"Pirates aren't envied for their longevity, you know," Bronte reminded.

"If that's the case I'll be doubly sure to spend every last shilling! Can't take it with you!"

"All the same. I'm putting some of mine away for another time. Someday I may find myself out of the pirating business."

"As you will! Then to Curacao?"

"Aye, we head south, then west through the dragon's mouth, to Curacao."

"What's Curacao like?"

"Only the greatest free port in the Caribbean! Anything can be bought or sold, regardless of supply and demand—though sometimes you sacrifice price."

"Sounds all right," Sam said, seemingly only moderately impressed.

"And Sam, a third of the buildings are taverns ... that never close!"

"Now you're talking!" He turned toward the mast. "Trim those sails, boys! Oy! Patch that tear in the main! We'll never get anywhere that way!" he called as he jogged briskly away to see the task done.

***

The Huntress put in Willemstad Bay, Curacao, the prevailing winds helping it into the natural harbor. They'd made the required stop at their cove and now, with the object of their hearts desire in site, the air of exuberance aboard the ship was palpable.

"Tuck those sails away, nice and clean. I know you're anxious for shore but we've got to take care of our ride first!"

"Aye aye, Captain," came the reluctant cry from Bronte's excited crew.

"Captain, who's gonna stay with the ship? How long do we get?" asked the freckled-faced Kinney.

Bronte, having already discussed it with Sam, didn't have to think about her answer. The two biggest problems going ashore were: one, you never knew if the ones you let off would come back, and two, you never knew if the ones you kept aboard would stay aboard.

Normally the crew wouldn't return until their money went dry. Sometimes they didn't come back at all and it was anyone's guess why. Could be they got a better offer from another ship; or they might be just plain dead, killed in a brawl, or robbed.

"Sam and I will go ashore to sell the cargo, then we'll divide each man his share." Cheers greeted the announcement. They'd stay aboard at least until they got their money. "Then we'll draw lots for the watch." Bronte also had every intention of staying aboard most of the time herself, so she wouldn't have to worry about a watch not reporting. "Each man takes one turn on watch; that'll give us two weeks ashore. Then we're off for more pillaging!" Cheers sounded again. "If any man runs out of coin before we're through the rotation, he can wait aboard."

Bronte retreated to her cabin to ready herself for the trip ashore. She hadn't hidden all of her gold and had definite plans regarding what remained (a new wardrobe top on the list) and was as anxious as the rest.

As Bronte and Sam stepped from the longboat the sheer activity of the port was overwhelming. People of every nationality filled the streets. Slaves (recent purchases most likely) paraded past them on the docks and were loaded into boats to be taken who knows where. Cages of monkeys and colorful parrots perched on stacks of crates and barrels, likening it to the silhouette of a domed cathedral with stained glass. Men wearing the most beautiful silks, laces and velvets paraded past them busily making transactions.