Chapter 6: Expect the Unexpected (Part 2)

"I should have been the last to leave." Cassie peeked out from beneath the bridge for the third time. "The whole plot was outlandish. And the worst is yet to come."

"Yeah, perhaps, but we made it here in one piece," Joe whispered from his seated position, somewhere in the dense darkness. "He'll make it. Have some faith. And stop pacing so much. Someone might see you."

Her restless motion continued, and when she couldn't stand to wait any longer, she revealed a sliver of herself into the open. There was still no sign of Chris or anyone else.

Morgan tugged on her cloak upon her return. "Do you see him—my dad?"

"No, not yet, my darling."

Cassie scooped Morgan's loose honey-brown hair into a bundle and gave her a reassuring smile, hoping it was enough to mask her dread.

Morgan nodded solemnly, but then her eyes sparkled. "Daddy!" she cried as she flew toward her father.

Chris set Ryan down and squatted to accommodate his daughter's height. She clung to him around the neck and did not let go. When he stood back up, she had settled into a place in his arm that seemed comfortable and natural.

Chris, however, looked uneasy. He checked out from underneath the bridge more than once, as if he expected unwelcome company at any moment.

His behavior inspired Cassie to hurry. She removed their fake wings and threw them into the West River, where they churned, tumbled, and drowned in the current. Then she gathered their supplies and initiated the journey onward.

For the most part, she felt confident the rocky slope on the right would hide them from view. But light, or almost a complete lack thereof, and the West River provided the next set of challenges. In near darkness—even the strike of a matchstick was a risk—they had to watch their step. The river's winding course and fierce current could easily drag them away and its steep decline culminated in a waterfall with no known bottom. Luckily, the palace was looming overhead, and dim beams of firelight from the windows and grounds would occasionally grace their path. Plus, she had each step committed to memory. It was the only reason she wasn't dwelling on the nightmarish alternative.

When Cassie turned around to check on her companions, Joe was a few paces behind and soon joined her side. They both watched Chris approach with the twins. Morgan was hovering above his head, and Ryan was twisting Chris's arm behind his back.

Chris didn't seem to mind playing their game of flying tug-of war and as long as the children were entertained, they didn't seem frightened.

"He seems to be doing better," Cassie whispered to Joe. "Do you think he'll be all right?"

"I don't think he has a choice."

Cassie and Joe laughed when the twins tangled Chris's arms into a knot.

"Children with wings," Chris said when he caught up to them. "It adds a whole new dimension to parenting. Sorry to keep you waiting."

"You're doing fine. We're almost there anyway," Cassie said, pointing ahead.

Her enthusiasm earned her a curious look from Chris, so she ducked her head, walked on, and made a mental note to tone down the encouragement. She continued leading the way and was the first to arrive at the conduits.

There were four conduits, two depositing water and waste, and the two beyond were no longer in use, their openings buried in sediment. Climbing on top of the fourth, Cassie crouched down and struck the softened wood with the hilt of her sword. Once she produced a hole large enough for everyone to enter, Chris lowered her inside by the hands.