||8|| Independent

She didn't know who she was, and as she sat in the empty space that was soon to be her living room, Vida sulked in it.

She didn't have any friends; any family and she was completely alone. As a single tear rolled down her cheek, she swiped it away angrily. The front door open moments later and in walked Trent and Lena, his wife. They had gone through the trouble of letting her stay in a condo that they had bought in town only weeks before she had met them. She told them that it she didn't want to take away something they bought together but they had insisted. Although Lennox was Lena's twin brother, she wanted Vida to get as far away from him as possible, given what he had done to her.

"No more tears Vida." Lena said as she walked over to her and offered her hand. Vida quickly took it and stood to her feet while wiping away a few tears that had escaped her eyes without her noticing.

"I just feel so alone, and I feel this longing to be near the asshole." Vida said with a scoff. "My emotions are all over the place, it's quite exhausting." It had been only six days but for some reason everyday away from Lennox was getting harder. Vida often found herself wondering if he was thinking of her too, but she knew not to be a fool. He had a beautiful woman who he was more than likely in love with. Making her realize that she was nothing but a warm body and the sooner she realized it, the better.

"Well you're not. You have me and Trent now." Lena said and Vida couldn't help but smile. "Now come on, let's go furniture shopping and forget the son of a bitch."

"If he's a son of a bitch, doesn't that make you the daughter of one?" Vida quickly countered with a comical look on her face. She watched as Trent began to laugh and Vida soon followed. They then walked out of the condo and head into town to furnish her new apartment.

The day went smoothly, and Vida soon learned that Lena and Lennox's name held weight in the city. All the furniture they had bought for the day was delivered only hours later and before night fall Vida's new home was fully furnished. The cable guy had just left from hooking up the Wi-Fi and the woman sat on the new sectional flipping through Netflix while Trent made tacos.

"Let's watch something funny. I need to laugh." Vida said as she reached her hand up and grazed the bite mark on her neck. It was getting more and more tender and it felt like the pain was spreading. She tried to hide her discomfort from touching it, but a hiss escaped her lips before she could stop it. Lena's head snapped in her direction and immediately landed on the mark.

"How does the bite feel?" She asked Vida and the woman just shrugged her indifference. Vida didn't want to make a big deal, but it hurt and was tender to the touch.

"It's tender." Vida replied before removing her hand and staring at the T.V. "I know this is a lot of ask, but I'd like a job. Do you think you guys could help me find one?"

"You can just come work for me." Trent said from the kitchen and Vida shifted her attention over to him. She watched as he wiped his hand on a new kitchen rag and walked over to them.

"I'm a business man and I need a new personal assistant." He smiled at Vida and she quickly returned it.

"Would you like that Vida?" Lena said with a smile.

"Yeah, that would be nice. I just need a weeks pay upfront so I can buy clothes." In that moment Vida began to feel like a needy whore. She was demanding so much from these two people, when they had already given her everything.

"Never mind, I'll figure something out. You two have already done so much." She said as she looked back at the T.V. Seconds later Trent was bent down in front of her and grabbing her two hands.

"Listen to me Vida. I'm sure I speak for both me and my wife when I say that it would be an honor to assist you with anything you need. All you have to do is ask. We both know that you don't have much and given the circumstance, we understand why. So tomorrow Lena will take you shopping for a new wardrobe and she'll take you to the bank to open you a new account. We are going to help you claim your life back if that is truly what you want, and it would be our privilege to do so."

The rest of the night was spent in happiness. Trent and Lena made sure that Vida didn't have to raise a finger. At first it bothered her to be treated with so much respect and basically like a queen, but after they consistently insisted, she finally gave in and let them. They laughed with her; Lena cried with her and when the burning started Trent was ready with the ice cold water in the tub. Before Vida knew it she had fallen asleep in the tub, with her hand covering her bite mark. She woke up to Lena carrying her into her new room and placing her down on her new Queen size mattress. Moments later Vida let her tiredness from the day consume her and fell into a deep sleep.

She woke in the middle of the night completely drained and thirsty. As she made her way to the kitchen her senses came to her and she realized that she was alone. The thought wouldn't have scared her, if moments later she didn't hear a glass break in the kitchen followed by someone mumbling. Vida panic and turned to go back to the room. She slammed the door close and attempted to lock it but before she could, it burst open and there he stood.

Shirtless and holding a glass of water.

Vida let out a scream of fright before composing herself.

"Fuck Lennox! What are you doing in my place!?" She screamed as she placed her hand on her hips and stared at the man in front of her with disgust. Although his presence was overwhelming, she was strong enough to hold her ground.

"I wanted to make sure you were alright."

"Oh, fuck off." Vida said as she made her way past Lennox and toward the kitchen. She was sure to turn on the light first and sure enough there was a broken glass in the sink. Rolling her eyes, she walked further into the kitchen and fixed herself a glass of water. While she was drinking it Lennox made his way back into the kitchen and leaned on the counter.

"I came to apologize." He said and Vida only glared at him. She was tired of everyone apologizing to her, only to hurt her again.

"Okay. You've apologized now go." She said as she placed her glass on the counter and went to move past Lennox. But she didn't make it far before she felt the pad of his fingers graze the bite mark and her steps halted. Vida clenched her legs and let out a shaky breath.

"How is it healing?" Lennox asked her in a low gravel voice that made her lower stomach clench. She felt the heat of his body behind her and then she felt his lips on the back of her neck. Vida mustered up all the strength she had and pulled away.

"It's not." She said as she made her way to the room with Lennox hot on her tail.

"What do you mean it's not."

"Like I just said Lennox. It's not healing. It actually gets sorer by the hour and the pain literally radiates through my whole body." Vida said as she got into her bed and pulled the covers over her half dressed body. Lennox didn't speak another word, he just stared at her as she got comfortable between the sheets. Vida glanced at him one last time before speaking.

"If you are staring then you sleep in the guest room." She watched Lennox nod once before walking out of the room and closing the door silently.

Vida didn't sleep a wink after that. Her mind was racing, and her body was yearning to be touched. She did everything to help put the feelings aside, but nothing work. Finally she caved and stood from the bed, making her way over to the door, she scolded herself for what she was about to do, but she need it.

She needed him.