e i g h t e e n - you know it's gonna happen

i don't wanna say
goodbye to another night
and watch you walk a w a y . . .

▪️▫️▪️

And suddenly, it's New Years Eve.

A time when we forget about our current year and look forward to the next one. When we think we're going to become a "new person" overnight and have some sort of life altering change.

Really, it's just a new day with a different date. But regardless of my thoughts on the holiday, it's a time designated for partying with your friends – and that's exactly what I have planned.

Thankfully, Rick is having a party tonight along with someone else in our grade, but we'd rather go to Rick's since more of our friends will be there. Or at least, that's what Blair has been telling me all morning. I kind of just go along with whatever she says to make things easier.

It's only 10:30 now and I have the whole entire day to relax. Both my parents are home and my mom has been cooking up a storm since 7 o'clock because she's hosting a party tonight as well. She hosts a huge New Years party every couple of years or so, and invites all of our friends and family over. Of course, she gets stressed out beyond belief, but we all know how much she loves to cook, decorate the house, and show off her party planning skills. I mostly just try to stay out of the way and help if she's in dire need.

Just as I finished my bowl of cereal, the doorbell rang. I hopped up and left the kitchen to get it since my mom didn't seem to notice it – she's way too involved in her cooking. Meanwhile, my dad is off somewhere doing handyman work so he doesn't bother my busy mother.

A part of me froze before I opened the door, hoping it wasn't Josh. Why would he come over this early in the morning on New Years Eve? I'm sure he's got better things to do anyway.

I shook the weird feeling off and pulled the door open after I unlocked it. The sun and a gust of bitter wind hit me as I stared back at my grinning best friend standing on my front porch.

"Good morning," Blair sang and brushed past me to come inside. I chuckled and shut the door, closing off the cold air.

"What's up?" I greeted her, sticking my hands in the pocket of my sweatshirt.

"Well, it's not a blizzard outside for once so I figured I'd come over," she shrugged. "And I brought a bag of stuff to get ready for the party tonight."

"I figured you would," I smirked, glancing at her bag hung on her shoulder.

"But I have to run some errands real quick, so would you wanna be the best friend ever and take me?" She smiled sweetly at me.

I rolled my eyes with a grin, nodding my head to agree. "Why not? Let me grab a jacket then we can go," I told her as I spun on my heel to head back to the kitchen.

"Okay!" She chirped.

I popped my head in to see my mom had not moved from where I left her. The funny thing is she probably won't move from the counter area until it gets dark out.

"Hey Mom, I'm going out with Blair for a little bit. We'll be back," I announced to her over the sound of the mixer.

"Okay, have fun," she said in a monotonous voice, not sparing a glance my way. I shook my head with a laugh and left for the hallway closet to grab my coat. I'm wearing leggings and a hoodie from school with Ugg boots, so I think I'm presentable enough to go run errands. I threw on my winter coat and pulled on a gray beanie over my messy hair, then was done.