t w e n t y-e i g h t - she's being a drama queen

don't change for you,
don't change a thing for m e . . .

▪️▫️▪️

I remember when I was younger, I would dream of becoming a princess. My imagination was a little wild, and I pictured myself living in a castle with a prince and a dozen horses – my perfect little "happily ever after".

Years later, I found out that lifestyle doesn't really exist anymore unless you're born into royalty. But even then, it's not quite what fantasy movies make it out to be. So I gave up the dream and settled for my average life in Vermont.

Now if you told me I'd be having a meltdown in my room because I had nothing to wear for dinner at a castle similar to the one in my dreams, I'd laugh. But I have to shove my foot in my mouth because I'm doing just that on this lovely Friday night.

While Josh is at wrestling practice, which is probably done at this point, I'm having a crisis.

"I'm just going to go in my robe," I concluded to Blair with a defeated sigh. "That's it."

"Stop, you have plenty of clothes. You can't tell me there's nothing in that huge closet of yours," she disregarded my emergency, and I could just picture her rolling her eyes.

I took my phone from between my shoulder and ear and held it now. "Blair, there's nothing," I enunciated. I rested my hand on my hip and stared blankly into my closet, hoping something would just magically pop out at me. It hasn't worked for the past hour, and I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

"I wish I was there so I could smack you," she deadpanned.

"Not helping," I groused, taking a step back and going over to my door. With my time limit and lack of inspiration, I realized that there's no other option.

I need my mom's help.

"Mom?" I whined into the hallway, and I heard Blair laugh on the other end.

"Coming!" My mom yelled back. Seconds later, she appeared at my doorway out of breath, her forehead wrinkled and head tilted to the side. I stared at her while Blair kept yapping on the phone, and pointed to my closet. "What's wrong?" She whispered.

"I need your help," I said, completely ignoring whatever Blair was saying.

A wide grin spread across her face and she eagerly hopped over to my closet. I took a seat on my bed in the meantime, watching her sift through my hangers as I put Blair on speaker.

"You need my help?" My mom asked, eyebrows raised as she shot me a look.

"Yes. I have nothing suitable to wear to this dinner," I breathed, playing with the hem of my robe.

"She's being a drama queen," Blair piped up.

"I'm going to hang up on you if you keep-"

"Girls! Stop," my mom cut me off. I snapped my mouth shut and muttered an apology. "Vicky, I'm sure there's something here you can wear."

"He has a million-dollar-mansion, Mom. I can't just wear jeans and a t-shirt," I groaned as I flopped back onto my mattress.

"Well I would hope not," she scoffed. "You're meeting his family for the first time; first impression means everything." I opened my mouth to complain again, but my mom interrupted. "We'll find something. I'll make this work," she nodded with assurance.

"I have to go, but shoot me a text if something goes wrong," Blair announced. She's currently on the way to a movie-date with Matt, or else she'd be here. Although we'd probably be ringing each other's necks by now if she was here.