9. Schola: Raff

His body ached the next morning. Raff woke up slowly, aware of the ache before he was aware of the sun against the back of his eyelids, before he was aware of the quiet sounds of Sab bustling around the room, before he heard Diego yell, "Good—" cut himself short, then apologize at the same volume: "Sorry! Nothing today!"

A frustrated cacophony of voices and groans replied, most of them uncomplimentary and certainly things that would have gotten the ones shouting laps if they were still attending the Schola.

Raff groaned. "Just shut up," he muttered. It was too late, though. He'd already woken himself up. He sat up, then stood, his body already complaining the motions. "Ugh."

"What happened to you yesterday?" Sab asked, glancing up from his bed, where he'd been kicked back, reading a book. "You just came back and passed out."

"Trials," he grunted. He hadn't heard he'd failed the written test, so he was going to assume he'd passed. Today, he was going to rest, and that was all he was going to do. He yawned and glanced out the window. Maybe he'd go find somewhere quiet and take a nap, somewhere where Diego couldn't find him.

He hadn't told Sab about the relic. That was a lecture he was happy to avoid.

Sab dropped from the upper bunk as he headed for the door. Raff looked at him. Heading out, too?

"You're heading to meet Edith, right? Someone responsible has to come along," Sab said, hands on his hips.

Edith...? Who...? Raff frowned, squinting at Sab. Then his eyes went wide. Right! Edith. He'd forgotten all about her. He rubbed his face and sighed out. "Shit," he muttered.

"A promise is a promise," Sab said.

"No, no," Raff sighed, waving his hand. He'd do it. Didn't mean he had to be happy about it, though. Hopefully she'd be happy with a quick showing around the Schola, because he was exhausted. Not like the Schola was all that exciting in the first place. "You think she'll be out this early?"

Sab shrugged. "She seemed pretty eager. You know, she was asking me to show her around, too? She really wants to get into the Schola, for some reason."

"Why?" Raff asked, mystified. Of all things to be eager about...

"Maybe she thinks she'll be admitted if she gets inside? I'll keep an eye on her, and you do, too," he said.

"Right," Raff agreed. As if he needed to be told to keep an eye on the street urchin.

The sunlight was blinding. After the darkness of early morning the day before, it was jarring to step out into light. Raff groaned and rubbed his eyes, every motion lethargic. He'd never felt this way after using magic before. It almost felt like yesterday's trial had burned him up inside. It had stolen all his energy and left him with cinders. He let out a heavy breath and shook his head. Was this why they were only allowed to use soulstones? It made sense, if this was what using natural magic felt like. Even the magic from Fabio's Godstone hadn't been this strenuous on him.

No one was waiting by the Shrine. Raff let out a sigh. "She's not there," he said. Oh well. "Guess she didn't care that much after all."

The Shrine doors opened just then, iron-studded wood swinging heavily. Edith was hustled out by a harried-looking priest, followed by Cecile. "Now look here, you little rat," the priest started, but Edith wasn't listening, because her eyes had locked onto Raff.

A low sense of dread boiled in Raff's stomach. Edith's eyes lit up. She sprinted over to him like he was her best friend and smiled. "Raff! I was looking all over for you! Didn't you say we were meeting in the Shrine?"