16. Return: Raff

He was tired. Bone tired. Every step took physical effort. He yanked his leg off the ground, moved forward, plopped it down again. His head ached where the man had hit him, or maybe it ached because he'd drank too much earlier. I can't believe I lost the key. Raff sighed and put his head in his hands. He just wanted to go to sleep and forget today ever happened.

"Oh, there you are!"

Raff looked up at the sound of Cecile's voice. She and Edith emerged from the dark He nodded at them wearily. What were they doing out this late? Or, what was Cecile doing, he supposed. Edith didn't seem to have a place to go back to, so of course she'd be out.

"I'm glad you found him," Cecile continued.

Raff blinked at her, lost. Sab smiled, stepping forward. "He did worry me," he said, patting Raff's head again.

For the second time, Raff pulled away. He wasn't a dog, damn it! Wasn't Sab's kid, either. He wasn't five. He could take care of himself.

Sab didn't seem to notice. "What're you two doing here, anyways?" he asked, nodding towards the Schola gates. Raff looked up as well, suddenly realizing it, too. It was odd for the two of them to be wandering right near the gates, wasn't it? What did a Magi's apprentice and a stray girl need from the Schola?

"Edith left something inside," Cecile said. Edith nodded.

Raff sighed out. "Let's get it over with." He turned toward the gate, remembered he'd lost the key, and turned back toward Sab expectantly.

Sab raised his eyebrow at Raff. Raff shook his head. They were suspicious, yes, especially Edith. But he was tired. He didn't care what this was about. All he wanted was for this terrible day to be over. He'd do anything to make that happen faster.

"Alright," Sab said, whatever uncertainty he had expressed in a single shrug. The key clicked in the lock, and the gate creaked open.

A blur of motion rushed past Raff. He grabbed blindly downward and caught Edith's cap, but the rest of her got past him. Sab reached and missed, clutching at thin air instead. She sprinted inside, making a beeline for the music room.

"Hey!" Raff called, chasing after her. What was she thinking? The guards were right there!

Something caught Edith's foot. She yelped. Arms flailing, feet slipping, she plopped into the grass with a meaty thud. There was something odd about the way she fell, and it took him a moment to realize what. The grass didn't bend under her in some places, and the sound she made when she hit was oddly... wet, almost. As if she'd landed in mud.

"What?" Sab muttered, as confused as Raff felt.

Raff ran over. Edith was already pushing herself up when he arrived. Her hand slipped off something, and she fell back down onto the unbending grass.

"Shitting... stupid..." Edith mumbled, trying to push herself up again.

Curious, Raff patted the grass around her. Some of it bent under his hand, but some didn't. It felt warm, too. Almost like flesh.

He yanked his hand away, disgusted. Flesh? But... where? The only thing he could see was grass. It reminded him of... of something.

With a heavy thump, Edith fell down again. "Get me off it!" she whined, an edge of hysteria in her voice.

Raff grabbed her by the waist and pulled her away, annoyed. So annoying. She kept getting in the way of his thoughts, and he almost had it!

She jumped back to her feet and brushed herself off. "Gross, gross, gross."

"Edith! Is that blood?" Cecile asked, startled.