14. Argument: Cecile

"Cecile—is that you?"

Barely a step outside the Schola's gates, Cecile paused and looked up. Who knew her in Castelfiamma? She didn't recognize the voice, so it was no one she'd met in the last few weeks. She'd never been here before, nor did she know anyone who hailed from this town.

She found herself looking at a middle-aged woman, a little younger than Hugo but not by much. Her dark hair was streaked with gray, her clothing eccentric, too many bags hanging from her layered outfit. She had a backpack, a waterskin, a dozen plump coinpurses, purses and handbags of all sizes slung around her body wherever they could fit. Confused, she frowned. She'd recognize a woman like this; whoever it was, she definitely did not know her.

The woman gasped. "By the Gods, it really is you." At Cecile's continued confusion, she frowned as well. "Rossi, right? Cecile Rossi, daughter of Hugo Rossi?"

"Adopted," she allowed.

"Of course, of course, Hugo wouldn't, he's too," she waved her hand. Cecile nodded uncomprehendingly. "But no—did I see you at the trials? I did, didn't I?"

Cecile gave a polite nod. "Indeed."

The woman jumped, as if startled, then held out her hand abruptly. "Right, I never—Annabella Conti. I'm a Magi, like Hugo. We used to work together all the time, but that was—" another wave of the hand. "Long before you came along. We exchanged letters, I remember, he was so excited when he found you... anyways." She shook her head. "You're Hugo's apprentice. You can't become High Priest."

"I certainly can," Cecile argued. There was no rule against an apprentice becoming High Priest.

"No, I mean... you can't betray him like this. Cecile, there's still time." Annabella clasped her hands and stared into her eyes, a heartfelt expression on her face. "Drop out. Go back to Hugo. Whatever argument you're having, it's not—it's not— Hugo, where will he find another apprentice?"

"Certainly not in prison," Cecile snapped primly.

Annabella went white. "P-prison?" she asked, stumbling over the word in shock.

She pulled her hands free of Annabella's. "They've arrested him for heresy, don't you know? Leave me alone. I will become High Priest."

She stomped away, mood soured even further than it had been by Raff's tantrum. Annabella watched her go, stricken to silence. She glanced back once before she turned the corner out of sight and found the woman still staring after her, still as a statue.

It was only when Annabella was completely out ofsight that she allowed tears to prick at the corners of her eyes. It wasn'tright. It wasn't fair. She didn't want to do this, didn't anyone understand?But she had no choice. She had to. Tossing her hair, she hurried back to herrooms. She wanted to be alone for a little while.