Chapter 26

HARRY

Slamming the door of my car, it banged shut with a shake, protesting against the force. Usually, I treated my car like a treasured object; a typically male habit of mine that had only heightened as I gained fame and money, affording myself the best vehicles around. My anger erased my usual gentle touch, and I ignored it as I stormed across the lot, my destination coming into view as I weaved through the trailers.

I didn't bother knocking. I was passed the point of niceties and polite manners, pulling the door open harshly and storming up the stairs.

She rounded on me with surprise, before her features settled into an expression of pleased humor.

"Well, well," Madison purred, tossing her hair over her shoulder. "Good thing I wasn't naked. That could have been...awkward."

"Cut the shit, Madison," I barked, pulling her up short. "What the hell did you say to Kate last night?"

My anger only seemed to increase her pleasure in the situation. "I don't know what you mean."

"Bullshit. She told me what you told her. That we were messing around. What the hell is wrong with you?"

She leaned her head back, dramatically exasperated at my fury for the situation she had caused, before sauntering towards me. She wore tight jeans and a low cut top, making a point to sway her hips as if I would be somehow enticed by her even now. Stepping up in front of me, she placed her hands on my chest, peering up at me with a sly grin.

"Oh, come on," she said, pouting out her lips. "You can't tell me you don't see how perfect we are together. The fans are practically begging us to get together, the whole lovers on and off screen scenario. It would be gold for the show, and for our careers." She paused, reaching up to push a lock of hair off my forehead as I glared down at her. "Besides, you can't really tell me that you would prefer her over me. A virginal little bookworm who freaks out in crowds? Come on, Harry. I get that she was some sort of conquest for you, but-"

I backed away from her quickly, her hands dropping to her sides as I put much needed space between us. Her words died off in her throat, as she seemed to notice for the first time that I was not playing a game with her. I was not pretending to be angry to get her to 'convince' me otherwise. Despite my past, and even this situation, not everything was a game to me.

"Let me make this perfectly clear for you, Madison," I growled, tendons rising in my arms and I cracked my knuckles methodically. "I choose Kate a million times over. Regardless of whatever little scheme you have cooked up to use me to bolster your career, count me out. Because I don't want anything to do with you, not now, not ever. So I'm going to say this as politely as I can, because even now I don't want to speak to you like I would if you were a guy. Stay away from me. Stay away from Kate."

She watched me with sheer shock and confusion across her face, legitimately surprised that I was saying these words to her. How she could ever think anything else left me flabbergasted, but I held my ground, before turning to leave.

"Harry, come on," she cried, all the sultry notes in her voice now gone. "You can't be serious."

"As a heart attack," I replied without looking back. The moment my feet hit the gravel, I slammed the door behind me, heading towards the soundstage. I had completed the first step in my plan for the day, now it was time for me to tackle the much more delicate, and probably risky step. The part that would have me face off against a tiny little firecracker who had stolen my heart.

I had to get Kate to talk to me.

Stepping through the door, I set on my mission, searching through the bodies swarming the sets for the object of my desire. Despite knowing better, I checked the most obvious of hideaways, finding her writing room and reading nook empty. After ten minutes of searching, I broke down, stopping crew as I passed to ask if they had seen any sign of her. So far, no one had seen her, which only caused my anxiety to rise.