Chapter 5

Chapter 5

    "Three months... Tatlong buwan, Tiyo Keno!" Aiken started angrily at the gray cat walking beside him in the walkway leading to the white manor house. Spells and enchantments protect their premises and it's safe to freely talk there.

    "What bothers you, Datu Amanikable?" Tiyo Keno asked telepathically, sensing that Aiken was about to start his usual tirade.

    "For three months since I arrived, we've been working on my breathing and meditations! You said that it was important for me to learn it while on Earth! You said meditation is essential for a better life!" Aiken said in rapid speech.

    Aiken stopped walking, forcing Tiyo Keno to turn around to face him.

    "Your point, My Lord?" Tiyo Keno asked innocently, looking at Aiken who was taking in deep breaths and exhaling slowly.

    Aiken realised that he was about to act like an ass again. Tiyo Keno's use of Aiken's honorary title was his Anito Guardian's subtle way of reminding him to calm the hell down. To an outsider looking in, it would seem strange that a boy would talk angrily to a cat that was incapable of speech and comprehension. Only Aiken knew how cheeky his Anito Guardian was for Tiyo Keno, from time-to-time, impudently answers him telepathically.

    "In your infinite wisdom, did it not cross your mind to tell me about Facebook, Instagram and basketball?" Aiken said, trying to be calm.

    "I told you about cellphones." Tiyo Keno reminded defensively. "Besides, I think you handled it pretty well, My Lord." The anito cat spirit added while taking a bow.

    "I looked like an idiot!" Aiken yelled. "Being social media savvy and putting up appearances for strangers are what's important to these kids. Not meditation! Didn't you hear students say 'Facebook is life'?"

    "You were far from looking like an idiot with your friends than you are right now, that's for sure." Tiyo Keno said pointedly in Aiken's mind. "Anyway, who would you rather listen to, teenagers or me, your uncle?"

    Aiken thought for a while. He's right. As usual. Aiken conceded.

    "Of course I'm right! Besides, I think every girl in school is too busy falling in love with you for them to notice your lack of social life." Tiyo Keno said with out words. "And that's no way to treat your Anito Guardian!" The cat added, giving Aiken a sharp look.

    "Sorry na, Tiyo Keno." Aiken responded apologetically. "And please stop reading my mind. It creeps me out."

    "You know too well that I'm having a hard time understanding you when you are shouting. Quit yelling at me and I'll stop reading your mind. Do we have a deal?" The anito cat spirit said in Aiken's mind.