Four - Wicked Winds Tell Secrets

"That was... strange," Crowley mumbled. He turned away, his mind already distracted.

"Oh, what a lovely child," Aziraphale said, a soft smile upon his lips. "I wonder how she got in."

"Told me the sign said 'open'." Crowley plopped himself down on his favorite chair among the wall of book spines.

"Oh, goodness, I forgot to flip the sign," Aziraphale exclaimed and huffed with annoyance. What a silly mistake, he thought. But no matter, all was okay. "Well, I could have sworn I locked the door."

"Must have been an oversight. Come, angel. There's something I need to tell you."

"What is it?" Aziraphale sat across from the demon, staring at him curiously.

"There have been whispers." Crowley spoke softly as if they were being listened to. "Whispers from Hell."

"That's never good."

"No, it isn't. I've heard that Heaven and Hell are conspiring with one another."

"No," Aziraphale said with disbelief. "So soon? Why, it's only been a year!"

Everything that had happened. Everything that took place. All of that... for nothing?

Crowley could read his friend's eyes. "Do you think it's possible?" he asked. His words told Aziraphale that he was skeptical of the entire situation and he needed a form of reassurance or confirmation--none of which Aziraphale could provide accurately.

"Heaven..." Aziraphale began, his voice shaking slightly. "Heaven is... heaven-" He couldn't seem to find his words. "Heaven can hold grudges, as can Hell... I mean, both of us saw how set they were on battling for glory for a certain side. We took that from them... I fear their anger is just as strong now as it was then."

Crowley leaned forward, resting his chin in his hands and staring at the rug beneath his feet. "They were frightened of us."

"I remember," Aziraphale said, almost fondly. His memory of that day was as clear as glass. He could feel their joy after having tricked their higher-ups. He remembered Crowley's prediction. "Do you think that means they'll come after us?"

"Or try to avoid us--keep us away from their plans."

"But if this is true, then we already know of their scheme. What then?" Aziraphale asked. He knew the answer and it scared him. Crowley looked up from the floor and locked eyes with the angel.

"Then they'll think of a way to destroy us."