Fifteen - A Storm Approaches

"Olly? Olly, are you alright, dear?" a muffled voice shouted. The sound of footsteps grew closer. The door creaked open. "Olly? What are you doing on the floor?"

Olly's eyes struggled to focus on the woman before her and for a moment she saw her father sitting beside her desk with a saddened expression. Olly fought the lump forming in her throat.

"I- I fell," she choked out and covered the break in her voice with an entirely casual cough.

"Well, I can see that," her grandma quipped. She helped the young girl to her feet and rubbed her shoulders like she always did. "When did you get home? I never saw you come in."

How did Olly get home? When did she leave the shop? What had even happened?

"I, um, I got home just a few minutes ago. You were... busy, and I didn't want to disturb you."

"That's very kind of you, dear. Would you like something to eat?" Already, she was in the hall, approaching the stairs. "I've just boiled some water. I went to the shop and bought some more cocoa mix. You know, the one you like. I'll make you a snack while I prepare supper." Her voice disappeared among the scattered clashes of pans and dishes.

"Yeah, gran, sounds good..." Olly muttered, still dazed. She stumbled forward, and her foot hit her bag. As she reached for it, a realization hit her like a freight train.

My watch! Oh, shitshitshit. Olly tossed her bag on her bed and raced out of her room.

"Olly? Where are you going?"

"Oh I just forgot something at school I'm gonna go back before they lock up the place I'll see you in a bit gran!" The door slammed shut before more protests could escape, and Olly raced down the narrow lane.

Rain drizzled onto the gray concrete walkway, and a strong breeze raced through the winding streets of Soho, London. As the rain picked up, Olly struggled with her jacket's zipper. What perfect weather for a disastrous moment. It was ironic, and in any other situation, Olly would have found the coincidence comical, but it didn't matter. Nothing mattered except getting her watch back. 

Olly's feet slammed against forming puddles. She was nearly there. Just a few blocks and she'll be back in the bookshop. Whatever else happens holds no importance whatsoever. Just the watch. Just her father's watch.

Olly collided with a stranger and fell against a stone wall.

"Watch it!" the person shouted before walking away in a huff. It was then that Olly recognized exactly how exhausted she was. How long had she been running? How fast? Her head felt light and tender from the lack of oxygen, so she gulped up as much as she could, her sweaty palms against her knees and body resting on the wet stone. On the skinny sidewalk, more people complained and pushed past her. Olly didn't bother apologizing. Even if she wanted to, her mind was too distracted with her aches and pains. All she could do at the moment was breathe and pray that she wouldn't pass out on this random London street.

As more people swerved around her, she inched down the sidewalk until an alleyway presented itself. Patches of darkness lurked throughout the alley, but nonetheless, there was light. Olly calculated the distance that still stood between her and the bookshop. This alleyway seemed like a good shortcut and possibly shelter from the pouring rain. Sketchy, yes, but if she ran, she'd be at the other end in no time.

But Olly's legs found the idea of running repulsive. Nonetheless, she stumbled into the alley, her hands laced together at the top of her head. If getting mugged is the risk of reaching her watch quicker then so be it.

Where do you think you're going?

Olly froze. She whipped around, unable to find the voice's source.