Home

We were back in the river canyon. The sky was still dark, but eyes had grown used to it. I climbed down from Sephraim's back, my feet digging themselves into the rocky sand of the shore as I landed.

I drew in a sharp breath, turning around to face her. My eyes welled with tears, my breath coming out in a stutter. "This is what I need to do," I whispered, not trusting my voice to go much louder.

Sephraim looked beyond conflicted. Her face flickered between soft and understanding, to confused and upset, to stoic and angry within seconds. I know, she answered.

We stood there, on the river bank, without saying a word for several minutes. Neither of us could muster anything to say.

Finally, Sephraim broke the silence with a very poignant question; Will you want to come back, or is this... goodbye?

In truth, I had no idea. I didn't know what seeing my father and Nan and home again would do for me. Perhaps it'd do nothing, and I'd miserable once again—and maybe it'd get back and wonder why I'd ever left. But how could anyone just walk away from a dragon they've come to know and care for? Something I'd never get an opportunity for again.

I whimpered, letting my head drop down and tears glide down my cheeks. I don't know.

And that was the honest answer. I couldn't promise her one thing or the other, because I couldn't promise myself a decision either.

She drew in a long breath, standing a bit taller as she nodded. Can you find your way back?

I think so, even the voice in my head was soft and solemn.

Even when we're away from each other, I'll still be here, she gestured to my head. I won't bother you, but should you change your mind, I'm always going to be there.

I looked up her with reddened eyes, making my irises look as though they leaked some color into the whites surrounding them. Thank you, Sephraim.

She tried to smile, but it didn't quite make it there. Without another word, the flapped her grand wings, sending gusts of wind toward me that just about knocked me off my feet. Her body rose up, her gaze of melted fire never leaving mine. And then she was gone.

I let a sob escape my lips. I had made the decision to go home. That was on me. I was upset because I felt as though I needed to leave. All I wanted was to be happy there—I desperately wanted it to work out. But something was missing.

-•-

It felt strange walking the pathway back to the village. It'd been months, yet everything seemed so familiar. Like an echo of my past self.

The distant glow of torches appeared down the trail, and I stopped abruptly. My chest heaved, my eyes brimming with tears as I stared at the distant flames. I swallowed thickly, shoving my emotion down as I continued along the path toward the place I once called home.

~

The village men still stumbled drunkenly around the village square, but froze when I appeared in the light. It was then when I realized I was still wearing my riding clothes—the black leathers that helped me leave the village I had gotten them with my head held high.

I took a deep breath before pointing my nose up and striding by them, their quiet murmurs of disbelief filling my ears as I made my way past.

Seeing the village again, just about exactly the way I had left it—nighttime activities only with the rest of it sleeping—brought up a strange buzz of anxiety in me. I didn't really think I'd return, and now that I was back I was able to understand that. I got comfortable with Sephraim, I got close. Maybe too close too quickly, thinking back on it now.